ASCI upholds complaints against 134 out of 147 ads in July 2014
Fifty-six ads belonged to the Personal and Healthcare category, followed by 61 ads in the Education category
BestMediaInfo Bureau | Mumbai | October 15, 2014
In July 2014, ASCI’s Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) upheld complaints against 134 out of 147 advertisements. Out of 134 advertisements against which complaints were upheld, 56 belonged to the Personal and Healthcare category, followed by 61advertisements in the Education category.
Health and Personal Care
The CCC found the following claims in health and personal care product or service ads of 56 advertisers released in the press to be either misleading or false or not adequately/scientifically substantiated and hence violating ASCI’s Code. Some of the health care products or services advertisements also contravened provisions of The Drug & Magic Remedies Act, Chapter 1.1 and III.4 of the ASCI Code. Complaints against the following ads were UPHELD.
- Dr. Dassan's Ayurvedic Herbal Formulations (Dr. Dassans BP Flow Capsules): The advertisement claims that BP Flow capsules work instantly and help to get rid of mental stress, contemplation, causeless anger and uneasiness. It further claims that BP Flow Capsules normalise Blood Pressure, Sleeplessness, Restlessness, and Giddiness and Insanity through herbal ayurvedic system.
- Louis Herbals (Louis Herbal Products): The product Louis Herbal Products claims to remove black spots, pimples, pimple marks and wrinkles. It also claims to make skin soft and glowing, makes the skin attractive and enhance the blood flow.
- Naik’s Homeopathy: The advertisement claims that Naik’s Homeopathy has successfully treated arterial blockages and weight. The patient in the advertisement claims that he/ she has lost 8 kgs and the blockages are 90% better.
- L'Oreal India P Ltd (Garnier Colour Naturals): The advertisement claims that Garnier Colour Naturals provides nourishment to hair for eight weeks.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (Pureit Water Purifier): The advertisement of Pureit Water Purifier claims that customers who do not use Pureit are paying 5-times more for unsafe water. The advertisement unfairly denigrated packaged drinking water.
- Shathayu Ayurveda: The advertisement claims to have had more than 8 lakh happy customers till date.
- Atiya Herbs – Hakim Suleman H Care Syrup: The advertisement claims that Hakim Suleman H Care Syrup will protect one’s heart if the person takes the syrup for just three months.
- Direct Hair Implantation: The advertisement claims that Direct Hair Implantation is a global leader in hair restoration.
- Diabliss Consumer Products Private Limited (Diabliss Herbal Cane Sugar): The advertisement claims to solve problems arising from diabetics and pre-diabetics as the product is rich in Antioxidants, Polyphenols and Soluble Fibers. The product is tested in hundreds of cases of type I and type II diabetics for periods ranging from three months to four years.
- Prabha Homeo Clinic: The advertisement claims that Prabha Homeo Clinic helps to treat complicated and incurable diseases. It also guarantees treatment from its roots.
- Eye Q Eye Care Hospital: The hoarding advertisement claims that Eye Q Eye Care Hospital helps in bidding goodbye to glasses, forever.
- Siddhi Ayurveda (Sugar Nashini Capsule): The advertisement of Sugar Nashini Capsule claims that it will help in getting rid of diseases such as feeling thirsty again and again, weak eyesight, late healing of wound, frequent urination, pain in legs, burning sensation, itching in the body, numbness of hands and legs, physical weakness.
- Keva Ayurveda Health Care Pvt Ltd.: The advertisement on the website claims that weight loss is guaranteed or 100% money back guarantee.
- Deltas Pharma (Deltas PanchaTulsi Drops): The advertisement Deltas PanchaTulsi Drops claims that five drops in water stops growth of bacteria and viruses and helps in increasing the efficiency of lungs.
- Ree Age Solutions Body: The advertisement Ree Age Solutions Body claims to introduce the latest German machine in Asia with proven EMS technology, the only machine in the world which gives effective body sculpting and instant weight loss.
- TVM (Easy Slim Tea): The advertisement Easy Slim Tea claims that fat people become fit after consuming the product. The TVC shows morphed images of people.
- SBS Biotech (Dr. Juneja’s Kesh King): The advertisement of Dr.Juneja’s Kesh King Hair Oil claims that the product “gives long hair”.
- Anmol Ayurvedic Hospital & Panchkarm Institute: The advertisement claims that Anmol Ayurvedic Hospital is successful in the treatment of cancer. It further adds that cancer is no more incurable and that many cancer patients have been cured and are living a successful life. It claims that there are no side effects and that cancer can be treated with rare ayurvedic herbs. The advertisement says that patients who have undergone radiation and chemotherapy have also been treated.
- Dr. Manoj’s Homeopathy: The website advertisement claims that Dr. Manoj’s Homeopathy cures all problems. The diseases mentioned on the website are disorders that cannot be cured.
- G.D. Pharmaceuticals P. Ltd. (Boreline Suthol Skin Shower): The advertisement advices “Powder nahi liquid apnao”, claims “kyunkisirf liquid hi skin kigahraitakjaye”, “aurghumariyon, khujli or rashes se de behtararam.”
- Dibafit: The advertisement claims that Dibafit is 100% Ayurvedic medicine for diabetes, which has been invented by the research team of Brahma YogSansthan. It claims to provide a natural and efficient way of fighting with diabetes and curing other diseases.
- Daves Noni & Juice Private Limited (Daves Noni): The advertisement for Daves Noni claims that the product helps to reduce cancer related risks, brings energy in life, reduces heart disease related risk, gives disease free life, reduces diabetes, purifies blood, re-stabilizes energy, reduces blood pressure and stops the development of tumours.
- Herbal Research Centre: The advertisement for Herbal Research Centre claims that their product reduces weight by 10-15 kgs. The product also claims to be 100% safe for patients with blood pressure and sugar.
- Women’s Center: The advertisement of Women’s Center claims to be South India's number 1 fertility centre providing the best quality care at the least overall cost.
- Nurture Health Care (Ayurex -S Capsule): The visual in the advertisement implies that the product enhances sexual pleasure.
- Ayur Gen Herbals (Ayurgen Herbal OTC Products Range): The advertisement claims their product Shapeup Breast Cream helps increase size of one’s breasts. The advertisement further claims that their other product Grow Tall Plus helps in increasing one’s height.
- Zee Laboratories (Brexelant): The advertisement for Brexelant claims to give 100% satisfaction in breasts enhancement with no side effects.
- Olefia Biopharma Limited (Olefia Crush Stone Syrup): The advertisement claims Olefia Crush Stone Syrup helps in removing all stones except the bile bag stone by diluting them. It also claims to remove all problems related to inflammation in the urine.
- Seva Herbal: The advertisement claims that Seva Herbal is West Bengal's oldest and best herbal clinic. The clinic claims to give 100% scientific and natural treatment for increasing penis size with no side effects.
- Gupta Clinic: The advertisement of Gupta clinic claims to give 100% results in sex enhancement from day one with no side effects and money back guarantee.
- Cure India Remedies: The advertisement claims that Getset Go Ayurvedic Oil & Syrupis beneficial in curing joint pains, arthritis & VAT, scarcity of grease in the knees, spondylitis, sciatica, osteo-arthritis and slip disc. It also has solution for problems such as premature ejaculation, ill-effects of masturbation, nightfall, less desire for sex, incorrect erection of penis, fear of sex, anxiety, lack of organal support due to aging or due to sugar despite of sexual desire and thinness of semen.
- AshwaPrash: The advertisement of AshwaPrash claims that it enhances sexual performance both in men and women. It claims to be an efficient herbal product for those who are suffering from erectile dysfunction, low libido, pre-mature ejaculation, low sperm count, sexual weakness, imbalanced hormones and other sex related problems which cause dissatisfaction in life. 100 percent natural with no side effects.
- Prince Pharma (Prince Tila): The advertisement of Prince Tila claims to increase energy in the nerves as it is 100% Ayurvedic. The visuals on the product pack imply that the product is meant for enhancement of sexual pleasure, which is in breach of the law as it violates The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act.
- Ayurmed Herbs & Pharmaceuticals (AjmodRas): The advertisement of AjmodRas claims to be easy and natural solution for kidney stones, gall bladder problems, controlling sugar and obesity. It further adds that one can get rid of gall stone pain and stones within four days of intake of the medicine. AjmodRas is a good source of anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, illness resistor, diuretic, iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium etc.
- Bharat Herbals Nonstop Oil & Capsules: The advertisement claims that their product is 100% ayurvedic as it contains mixture of traditional and Himalayan herbs and it has no side effects. Best and effective for diabetics.The visual pack shot of oil and capsules implies that the product is meant to enhance sexual pleasure.
- Keva Ayurveda Health Care Pvt Ltd.: The advertisement of Keva Ayurveda claims to be an ISO 9001:2008 certified company which offers well tested highly effective curative treatments for obesity, paralysis, insomnia, stress management, de-addiction, arthritis, psoriasis, acne, spondylitis, digestive disorders, panchkarma/detoxification and many more with well researched and result based treatments under the guidance of qualified Ayurveda doctors.
- Soliel International Healthcare (Soliel International Healthcare Range of Product): The advertisement claims that their product Trushna Oil & Condomis 100% Ayurvedic, gives complete satisfaction in married life and is enriched with saffron.
- Ganga Clinic: The advertisement of Ganga Clinic promises 100% treatment for excessive masturbation, semen in urine, night fall, impotency, small penis, crookedness, gonorrhea, acne pimples, inflammation, and infertility.
- Global Health: The advertisement of Global Health claims to cure all types of pain with high power Laser & Radio Frequency. They have successfully treated more than 5000 people. The product helps to reduce obesity from 2” to 6” by Non-surgical liposuction.
- Hasham Manji Padamshi Surmawal (Hasham Manji Padmshi Range of Products):The advertisement claims that Hasham Manji Padmshi Range of Products are enriched with honey which strengthen the cells of the eyes and keeps the eyes cool, thereby it stops increasing ‘power’ of eyesight.
- I.T.C. Limited (Vivel): The YouTube advertisement derides colour as a dark skinned girl is shown as not being confident and suffering from an inferiority complex due to her complexion. It showsthat only after applying Vivel cream does she appear confident enough to sing in public.
- L'Oreal India P Ltd (Garnier Black Naturals): The TVC claims, “Forget powder hair dye” “Maine powder dye lagana choddia” disparages the powder colour (dye) category.
- Hygienic Research Institute Pvt Ltd. (Super Vasmol 33 Kesh Kala): The advertisement Super Vasmol 33 Kesh Kala claims “Aapke hair color main ammonia nahitoh peroxide tohhoga, jo kare baalon ko bleach yani damage; issiliye vasmol” followed by “toh boliye jaldiya healthy” was not supported by data proving why Vasmol is the superior “healthy” option, and “naturally black hair”, was not substantiated. The advertisement was misleading by ambiguity.
- Marico Ltd (Livon Hair Gain): The advertisement which stars Rahul Bose claims that Livon Hair Gain helps to stop hair fall within 90 days. The claims on the product pack were not consistent with those in the advertisement.
- Om Shanti Cancer Nidan Sansthak: The advertisement claims that Om Shanti Cancer Nidan Sansthak is certified by clinical and pathological institutes and has been successful in the treatment of cancer.
- Izda Health (Rebond) Care: The advertisement Rebond claims that, a daily food supplement capsule, improves overall health of a person from any age group and cures all diseases related to the brain, eye sight and heart. Moreover, the supplement promises speedy development of the brain by a unique combination of DHA, EPA and multi nutrients which also fulfil daily body necessities.
- Kalada Plastic Cosmetic Surgery & Burn Centre: The advertisement claims that the Centre can provide a permanent solution for obesity.
- Dr. Batra’s Homeopathy Clinic: The advertisement of Dr. Batra’s Homeopathy Clinic promises non-surgical hair growth treatment from France which grows hair in just 10 weeks’ and they have attained ‘90% Success rate’. They also claim to have treated over 7 lakh patients successfully.
- Leeford Healthcare Ltd (Meglow Premium Fairness Cream): The advertisement of Meglow Premium Fairness Cream derides colour (people with dark complexion) and contravenes Chapter III.1(b) of the ASCI Code.
- Drinkers Stop.com: The online advertisement promotes drinking of alcohol, shows disregard for safety and encourages negligence. The advertisement contravenes Chapter III.3 of the ASCI Code.
- Marico Ltd (Livon Conditioning Cream Colour): The advertisement for Livon Conditioning Cream Colour claims “ab powder dye kabhi nahin” “Ab powder dyes karukha pankyu”, disparages the entire powder colour (dye) category. The disclaimers/supers in the TVC were not legible.
- Vi John Group Maja Health Care Division (Cobra Deodorant): The advertisement for Cobra Deodorant shows vulgar and obscene scenes which cross all prevailing standards of decency and propriety causing widespread offence. The advertisement contravened Chapter II of the ASCI Code and Clause 8 of The Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act, 1995 (“Indecent, vulgar, suggestive, repulsive or offensive themes or treatment shall be avoided in all advertisements.”).
- Pfizer Limited- (Gelusil MPS – Antacid gel and tablets): The disclaimers/supers in the TVCs were not legible. The TVCs contravened the ASCI Guidelines on Supers.
- AAA Teleshopping Private Limited (Total Health Achiever): The advertisement for Total Health Achiever claims to be world’s first ayurvedic product, which resolves many problemsand improves the overall health of an individual. It claims that the product has the power to cure all the "diseases related to stomach, kidney, liver and pancreas”, “the complete solution to problems like acidity, cholesterol, low metabolism, fat gain and poor blood circulation”.
- AAA Teleshopping Private Limited (Slim 20): The advertisement for Slim 20 claims to be an effective method of reducing weight with no side effects. It further says that Slim 20 is scientifically proven to be one of the most valuable products to fight against obesity. “Health and Nutrition Management, Canada, USA and Health and Food Security Department, Dubai and the Obesity Nutrition Dietetic Association of New Zealand have verified it as 100 percent efficient and safe to reduce weight”.It also says that Slim 20 contains all major nutrients like vitamins, carbohydrates, minerals and proteins which keep body fit and attractive. It also reduces weight but resolves diseases like heart attack, BP, joint pain and sugar. It claims that Slim 20 increases body’s metabolism and accelerates weight loss.The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1, III.4 of the ASCI Code as well as Advertising Code – 7  under the Cable Television Network Rules, 1994.
- Narendra Chitte Deaddiction Clinic: The advertisement claims that Narendra Chitte Deaddiction Clinic helps de-addict from alcohol, smoking and drugs within a day.
The CCC found that claims in print ads by 61advertisers were not substantiated and thus violated ASCI Guidelines for Advertising of Educational Institutions and hence the complaints against these ads were UPHELD.
- Geetanjali Institute of Technical Studies: The advertisement Geetanjali Institute of Technical Studies claims to be ranked 5th in Rajasthan and 44th in India under “Top Promising Engineering Institutes of India" - CSR Survey 2013.
- Institute of Engineering & Management: The advertisement claims that the Institute is Oldest and No.1 Private Educational Institute.
- International Institute of Hotel Management: The advertisement claims to be India's Largest Hotel School Chain and Asia’s 100 fastest growing private educational institutes with 100% global placement record.
- CL Educate Ltd: The website advertisement CL Educate claims selection of 4 out of 5 and 69 out of 100 in ‘CLAT examination 2014 and Top 10/10 in AILET 2014 are their students.
- Microtek College of Management & Technology: The advertisement claims that Microtek College of Management & Technology has successfully placed 1900+ students in year 2012-14 and claims to provide 100% placement.
- NR IAS Academy: The advertisement claims that NR IAS Academy guarantees success.
- Orchard Mathematics Tutorial: The advertisement claims that their tutorial is No.1 Institute in Maths.
- Saveetha University: The advertisement claims that Saveetha University is ranked the No.1 private university by The Sunday India. It further claims to be ranked No. 3 among all Indian Universities by The Pioneer, No. 1 private university by 4 Ps-Business & Marketing and No.7 among Top 10 Private Universities by Silicon India and ranked No.3 among India’s Best colleges of Law by The Sunday Indian.
- Institute of Technology Mayyil (ITM): The advertisement claims to provide assured placements.
- Indus Institute of Hotel Management: The advertisement claims to provide 100 guaranteed jobs on American ships. It further claims to provide tax free salary from Rs 35000 to Rs 75000 and free food and accommodation.
- Prestige Institute of Management: The advertisement claims that Prestige Institute of Management is ranked among the top 1000 B-schools in the world by Ed-universal official selection, Paris. It further adds that Prestige is rated A++ among Management Institutions by Business India, November 2013 issue and ranked 16th among Management Institutes in India by Higher Education Review, 2014. In addition, the advertisement claims to be truly No. 1 B-school in Central India.
- 12. Agni School of Business: The advertisement claims that Agni School of Business has 100% placement record for 2012-14 batches. It also claims that all the batch students are successfully placed at a salary range of Rs 2.5 lacs to Rs. 5.3 lacs per annum.
- CL Educate Ltd: The advertisement claims “49/71 selections” of their students.
- ICA Infotech: The advertisement for ICA Infotech claims to be India’s 1st accounting institute to have trained and placed 300000+ students and has 450+ study centres.
- Byju’s Classes: The advertisement claims that Byju’s classes produced incredible results in 2nd year itself but the results claimed for 2013-14 which is the 3rd year.
- Kangaroo Kids Education Ltd (Billabong High): The advertisement claims that Billabong High is India’s most trusted brand in education in 2012 and 2014.
- AIHM Institute of Hotel Management: The advertisement claims that AIHM Institute of Hotel Management is the oldest & No.1 Hotel Management Institute of North India.
- Bhutta College of Engineering &Technology: The advertisement promises the students that they will receive assured placement letter at the time of admission to B.Tech Elite Program (CSE/IT/ICE), Corporate Program (ME/EE).
- Chennai Amirta International Institute of Hotel Management: The advertisement claims to give appointment letters before completion of studies and graduation and 100% job placement with a stipend of Rs.10000 to students while studying.
- Vajiram & Ravi: The advertisement claims that over 600 candidates from Vajiram and Ravi were selected in Civil Services 2013 with top ranks.
- A Gladiator Centre of Education Foundation: The advertisement claims guaranteed selection in AIPMT/ RPMT; if not, then they offer a full refund of the fees.
- Ballaram Hanumandas Charitable Trust - BRCM College of Engineering &Technology: The advertisement claims that the BRCM College of Engineering &Technology is No.1 Engineering College in Haryana and highlights that they placed 100% students from their 2013-2014 batch.
- Eduzone: The advertisement by Eduzone claims 100% pass guarantee to students or else they will provide a fee refund.
- Neelkanth Group of Institutions: The advertisement claims that Neelkanth Group of Institutions is India’s best and the fastest growing institute, evaluated by KPMG. The claim is misleading by omission as the certificate was awarded as one of the Asia’s 100 best and fastest growing Institutes.
- PDCPA: The advertisement claims that the establishment offers Professional Skills Development Courses and promises 100% Job guarantee after completion of the same or will return the fee to the student.
- Vidyasagar Institute of Banking: The advertisement claims that the Institute assures selection of the candidate, and if unable to provide selection they promise 100% Fee return.
- Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd: The advertisement claims that Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd. is India's No.1 Test Prep Institute for GMAT, GRE and SAT.
- Ratnashila Hospital: The advertisement claims that Ratnashila Hospital is India's No. 1 Paramedical Institute.
Complaints against advertisements of all educational institutes listed below were UPHELD because of unsubstantiated claims that they ‘provide 100% placement /and/or they claim to be the No.1 in their respective fields’:
National Institute of Hotel Management, State Institute of Hotel Management,Jaydev Institute of Social Sciences and Research, Gayatri Educational Institutions, Educational Mission of Information Technology(EMIT),Indian Institute of Catering Technology and Hotel Management, Yamuna Group of Institutions, Shree Balaji Group, Global Institute, PoojaSevaShikshaSamiti (Jasoda Devi Polytechnic College), Modern Institute of Fire & Safety Engineering, AryanTechnologies, Apex Group of Institutions, Emerald’s School of Business, Excellence Informatix, Genius Child Educare Pvt. Ltd, School of Indian Hotel Management, Global School of Management, Moradabad Institute of Technology, Radharaman Group of Institutions, Bansal Management Group of Institutes, Punjab Technical University, Madhav Education Charitable Trust - AIMS Education Campus, Mahendra Educational Pvt Ltd, Eduzone, JRSS Coaching Institute ,Margdarshan Premier Institute, Mayadhar's Classes, Pinnacle Career Institute, Vidyasagar Institute of Banking, Softtech College, NadarMahajanaSangam (JayarajAnnapackiam College of Pharmacy), Susee Information System Pvt. Ltd., Teacher Training Centre, Indus Institute of Technology and Management
- Shri Sobhagya Laxmi Yantra: The advertisement of Shri Sobhagya Laxmi Yantra claims that the product is meant for attaining prosperity, happiness and wealth, whichwas not substantiated. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the ASCI Code as well as Advertising Code – 7  under the Cable Television Network Rules, 1994. The complaint was UPHELD.
- TVC Sky Shop Limited (Shri Lakshmi Kuber Dhan Varsha Yantra): The advertisement for Shri Lakshmi Kuber Dhan Varsha Yantra claims that that “product is for attaining better finances and assets” was not substantiated with supporting data. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the ASCI Code as well as Advertising Code – 7  under the Cable Television Network Rules, 1994. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Eage Shopping Pvt Ltd. (NavGrah Sewa Sanstha): The advertisement NavGrah Sewa Sanstha claims that the product is meant for attaining better financial position and assets. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the ASCI Code as well as Advertising Code – 7  under the Cable Television Network Rules, 1994.The complaint was UPHELD.
- Sat Kartar Shopping Private Limited (Nari Jeeven Jyoti): The advertisement Nari Jeeven Jyoti claims to help women to stay free from pain and other problems related to the menstrual cycle. The product claims to have been scientifically manufactured to protect the health of women of all ages and resolve diseases like Uterus Infection, Cyst, irregular periods and white discharge etc. Claims that“the product improves skin, strengthens the body, increases stamina, keeps women healthy and reduces the possibilities of having abdominal pain, dizziness and irritation”, were not substantiated.The advertorial is misleading and makes people believe that the product has some super-natural qualities that can end problems. Thus, it violates the Advertising Code - 7  under the Cable Television Network Rules, 1994. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Sky Brand India (Gymnedine): The advertisement for Gymnedine claims that the product controls diabetes and diseases related to it. It adds that continuous use of the medicine can cure diabetes.the advertisement is in breach of the law as it violates The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act. The advertisement contravenes Chapters I.1 and III.4 of the ASCI Code as well as Advertising Code – 7  under the Cable Television Network Rules, 1994. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Sidh Chat Mata Kawach: The advertisement Sidh Chat Mata Kawach claims to get rid of all troubles and difficulties of life. The advertisement contravenes Chapter I.1, I.4 and I.5 of the ASCI Code as well as Advertising Code – 7  under the Cable Television Network Rules, 1994. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Joyalukkas Jewellers: The advertisement claims “shop and win 12 BMC cars plus 2 kg gold”, was misleading as it did not clearly state material conditions as to enable the consumer to obtain a true and fair view of their prospects in such offer. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.4 and I.5 (f) of the ASCI Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Hero MotoCorp (Hero Xtreme): The advertisement Hero Xtreme shows an everyday activity being performed on the bike in an irresponsible manner. The advertisement contravened Chapter III.3 of the ASCI Code (“Ads shall not, without justifiable reason, show or refer to dangerous practice or manifest a disregard for safety or encourage negligence.”). The complaint was UPHELD.
- Hyundai Motor India Limited: The advertisement Hyundai Motor India Limited claims that airbags and ABS are standard feature in all their variants. However the feature is available only in one variant.The Website and the Brochure contravened Chapter I.4 of the ASCI Code The complaint was UPHELD.
- TVS Motor Company (TVS Phoenix 125): The advertisement for TVS Phoenix 125 shows actor Nazar asking for a lift by standing in the middle of the road. When asked for lift, actor Mahesh stops the bike in the middle of the road. The CCC viewed the TVC and concluded that the visual promotes unsafe practices. The advertisement contravened Chapter III.3 of the ASCI Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Hero Motorcorp (Hero Xtreme): The advertisement shows bike stunts/bike performance done by a boy in everyday life circumstance. The CCC viewed the TVC and concluded that the visual promotes unsafe practices. The advertisement contravened Chapter III.3 of the ASCI Code and Clause (b) of the Guidelines on Advertisements for Automotive Vehicles. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Sando Benz Innerwear: The advertisement shows a woman riding pillion without a helmet. The CCC viewed the TVC and concluded that the visual of ‘people on two wheelers shown without helmets’ promotes unsafe practices. The advertisement contravened Chapter III.3 of the ASCI Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Croma Retail: The advertisement Croma Retail claims that Amazon Kindle Paperwhite starts from INR 5,999 onwardswas not substantiated and is misleading. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank: The advertisement Kotak Junior Account is misleading as it is omitting details about the interest rate. The CCC recommended that the supers in the Hindi TVCs should be in the same language as the audio of the TVCs, and they should stay for not less than 4 seconds on the screen, to comply with ASCI’s Guidelines for Supers. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Myntra.com: The advertisement of Myntra.com claims 33% extra for shopping above Rs 1999. But when one applies that code, it does not offer extra 33%. Hence, the offer of “extra 33%”is misleading. The complaint was UPHELD.
- LG Electronics Pvt. Ltd. (LG Conditioners): The advertisement shows a disclaimer / written information in small fonts which is illegible. The advertisement contravened ASCI Guidelines on Supers. The complaint was UPHELD.
- Procter & Gamble Hygiene & Health Care Ltd. (Ariel): The advertisement claims that Ariel’s 2kg pack of Rs. 349/- carries a promotional discount Rs 23 /-.The product is sold at the MRP (Rs. 349). Since the 500g pack costs Rs. 93, 4 such packs would cost Rs. 372. So, the MRP of Rs. 349 implies a discount of Rs. 23. The promotional line on the packaging is misleading by implication. The promotion claim on the pack contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.