ASCI upholds complaints against 57 out of 65 ads in Nov. 2013
Health & personal care category continued to lead with the highest number of complaints received
BestMediaInfo Bureau | Mumbai | February 4, 2014
InÂ November 2013, ASCIâs Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) upheldÂ complaints againstÂ 65Â advertisements. Health & personal care category continued to lead with the highest number of complaints received.
Health & Personal Care
TheÂ CCC found the following claims inÂ health and personal care product or serviceÂ ads of 44 advertisers, released in the pressÂ to beÂ either misleading or false orÂ not adequately/scientificallyÂ substantiated and henceÂ violating ASCIâs Code.Â Some of theÂ health care products or services ads alsoÂ contravened provisions of the Drug & Magic Remedies Act. Complaints againstÂ theÂ followingÂ adsÂ wereÂ upheld:
- Ambic Ayurved: NavPaurush Powder/Capsules claims that it âincreases hunger, weight, strength & helps in producing new bloodâ, âhelps in bringing shine on the skin and increases stamina.â
- Amba Health Clinic: Claims to treat diseases such as vitiligo, infertility, diabetes etc.
- Chaitanya Hospital: The hospital advertisement claims that they are the â1st users of Lensx Laser Femto Second Cataract Surgery in Keralaâ.
- Dhanvantari Super Speciality Ayurvedic Hospital & Panch Center: Claims they provide âcomplete treatment of psoriasis, eczema, white spots, pimples and any type of skin diseaseâ,Â âcomplete and successful treatment of infertility, getting an issue, women's illness, P.C.O.D, less sperms, sexual weakness etcâ,Â âcomplete treatment of any type of illness in one and only ayurvedic hospital with complete facilities.â
- Dr R P Kakkar Clinic: Claims to be the âcontact for the most successful treatment of poor erection, oligo spermiaâ, one can âget permanent benefit.
- Shree Kalyan Ayurvedashram: Claims that âwithin 5-6 hours of treatment white spots will reduce and will appear as normal skin complexion.â
- Dr. Nigamâs Good Health Pvt. Ltd (Dr. Nigamâs Hair Multiplication): Claims that it is âNations No.1 hair treatment clinicâ.
- Dr.Ashwiniâs Obesity & Homoeo Health Care Centre: Claims that one can âfight obesity with India's first obesity research clinic.
- Dr.Amrapaliâs Trim N Tone: Claims that they âuse LIPO laser to remove fat and reduce inches without surgery or pain. Also claims of helping them lose 8 kgs in just 45 days.
- The Himalaya Drug Company: Himalaya Sparkling White Toothpaste claims that it is âIndiaâs first toothpaste with no chemical bleachâ. Pack claims that they guarantee âwhiter teeth in just 2 weeks.â
- Dr. Sheetalâs Slim Express: The advertisement is about weight loss and how visceral fat increases risk of heart disease. The advertisement claims that there are satisfactory results in 90% of the cases.
- Future Planner Enterprises: Ret Radifree Gold claims that it âblocks up to 97% electromagnetic radiationâ, âTested! Proven! C.I.E.M.S. & C.F.B.S.â, âIt provides solution for the side effects of mobile radiation -Headache, low memory, impotency, brain tumor, tiredness etc.â
- GTM Teleshopping Pvt. Ltd: Brain Smart: Claims the product improves the capacity of Human Brain / Mental condition.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd: Pepsodent Germi Check + Expert Protection Pro Complete Toothbrush claims that they are â100% proven interdental cleaning. Further they also claims to provide complete cleaning (âPurisafaiâ).
- Indian Fowrazin: The advertisement is selling a very high priced herbal remedy â Claim misleading as long time was not specific âonly 12kg are produced per yearâ (thereby justifying the very high price of US$3000 per 50 grams) is false.Â Medical claims for the product have no basis in research (lowers cholesterol; improves sexual health and performance; reduces cancer risk; antidote to mild poisons; anti-oxidant properties).
- Mellitus Capsules: Cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of diabetes in human beings.
- Marico Ltd: Nihar Shanti Amla Hair Oil claims to âkeep hair black for a long time.â
- Nirog Clinic: Claims that they provide âpermanent treatment of STDs, impotency caused due to sugar, childlessness, premature ejaculation, nil sperms, small organ and tardiness, piles, stone, obesity, excessive weakness, joint pain, hair problems etc.â
- Oma Health & Beauty Clinic: Claims that they provide âguaranteed 5 kg weight loss in just Rs. 3,999â and âguaranteed 10 kg weight loss in just Rs. 7,499â.
- Springs: Claims that they help âlose 10 kgs in 24 hoursâ.
- Shathayu Ayurveda: Claims that they help âlose 6 Kgs in just 25 days.â
- Anmol Ayur Clinic: Claims that they provide âprompt and successful treatment of oldest of the drunkard's drinking habit/ tobacco consumption /drugs etc. and every type of addiction.â
- Ayurvedik Vikas Sansthan: Claims that âEnergic-31 is the best health enhancer ayurvedic medicine, which is helpful to get rid of the unfitness of all t organs, all types of weaknesses, pains, tiredness, laziness, increases longetivity power, immunity power, and efficiency.â It is equally effective for both ladies and gents.
- Dr Bhurani Multi Speciality Homoeo Clinic: Claims that they provide a âsuccessful treatment without operation by medicines. (Diseases mentioned are vitiligo, baldness, obesity, stones)
- Detox: Detox Hospital: Claims that they give âSingle session of Detox = 600 calories, Burnt = 10 km walk.â âThey provide world's best detox procedures. Just sit, dip and sip to detoxâ, âgo Detox - removes toxins, burns calories, weight loss, reduces cellulite, improves blood circulation, reduces joint pains & muscular aches, relieves stress, kills allergies.
- Dr. Care Cosmetics: Syor Powder claims that it is âhelpful in increasing memory powerâ, âcompletely ayurvedic chocolate flavorâ, âbooks lag behind when compared to memory power.â
- Dr. Sheetalâs Slim Express: The advertisement claims that the technique used is medically proven technology backed by scientific research.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd - New Close Up Deep Action Toothpaste:Â The Claim was not substantiated âConfidence of Fresh breath till 12 hours,Â presenting new Close-up Deep Actionâ.
- Hans Herbal Overseas: Hans Snow claims that it is a âreliable brand for more than 5 crore people for 40 years.â
- Jolly Pharma: Jolly Fat Go claims that âdieting and exercise did not work well, then proceed to & try Jolly Fat-Go Slim capsules and Anticellulite oil to keep your body slim, smart and fit.â âIt corrects body metabolism, equally effective on boys-girls and men-womenâ. âTake 2 Jolly Fat go capsules early in the morning on an empty stomach; and 2 capsules in the evening two hours before dinner along with luke warm water. Metabolism will eventually burn the excess fat and convert it into energyâ.
- Jay Shree Pharmaceuticals: Pilora Powder /Cream claims that one can âget relief from piles - hernia in 1 dayâ, it isâ100% ayurvedicâ, provides âimmediate relief from unbearable pain in anal region, inflammation-itching, fissure- bleeding-sitting problems etc.â
- Jay Shree Pharmaceuticals: Fat Kill Capsules & Oil claims that one can âexperience the change in 30 daysâ, âTake a three month course and get an attractive figure.â
- Omega Hospital: The advertisement states that âbreat cancer can be curedâ.
- Pratiraj Herbal Pharmacy: Navjeevan Hair Oil claims that it is a âsuccessful medicine for baldnessâ, âa patent ayurvedic medicine made by herbs which is chemical free, colour less, odour lessâ.
- Tara Homeopathy Clinic: Claims that they âprovide guarantee card of treatment with 100% in all types of hair treatmentâ.
- Slim Care Herbal Products: Slim Fast Capsule/Powder claims that one can âget rid of obesityâ, âno dietingâ, âno side effectâ and is â100% herbalâ.
- Shankar Nursing Home: Claims that one can get âpermanent treatment of stones without operation, without getting admitted, by laser machine and get discharged in 2 hours.â
- Roojsselâs Slimming Beauty and Hair Clinic: Claims that one can âlose weight by lipo laser which gives a perfect figure.â
- Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd: Revital claims that the â21 day money back guarantee challenge.â
- Shape & Glow: Claims that one can âget perfect figure by lipo laser.â Advertisement also claims that they provide â5 muscle toner, body firming, tummy trims, hip trims and figure correction.â
- Sanjeevan School for Perfect Eyesight: Natural Vision Improvement Centre claims cure for color blindness.â
- Sri Sanjeevini Solutions: Claims that it is âIndia's No.1â. âThe Cold Laser Medicine Cures: migraine, neck pain, shoulder pain, back pain, knee pain, foot pain, numbness, psoriasis, varicose blood, diabetes, stress. Helps to get rid of smoking & drinking, sexual problem, fat, ulcer, gangrene, psoriasis, Varicose, operation marks etcâ.
- The Body Care Slimming & Beauty Clinic for Men and Women: Claims that they help âlose 10 kgs weight in 24 hrsâ. The ad claims â6-8 cms and 1 kg loss permanently (in Marathi).â
- Venktesh Dal & Flour Mill: Santrupthi Diabetic Atta helps âcontrol blood pressure, diabetes, obesity naturallyâ.
Inasra Technologies Pvt Ltd: The facebook advertisement of Stayzilla.com displays an image which is very demeaning to woman, is sexist and objectifies women. The CCC concluded that the Facebook Ad shows an indecent depiction of a woman and objectifies women, which is likely in the light of generally prevailing standards of decency and propriety, to cause grave or widespread offence.Â The Ad contravened Chapter II of the ASCI Code.Â The complaint was upheld.
Info Edge (India) Ltd: The advertisement of website of 99acres.com clearly states âno Muslim is allowedâ. The CCC concluded that the website advertisement claim of âno Muslim is allowedâ promotes discrimination based on religion and contravened Chapter III.1 (b) of the Code.Â The complaint was upheld.
www.surfaceinternational.com: Claims that they have been âproviding a best industrial machine from 25 yearsâ. The date of establishment of the company is 2006.Â In view of this, it is prima-facie that this company is providing wrong information / false information leading to misguiding and duping the viewers of the website. The CCC concluded that the claim was not substantiated.Â The internet Ad contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code.Â The complaint was upheld.
Food & Beverages
The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in these advertisements were not substantiated.Â The advertisements contravened ASCIâs Code.Â The complaints were upheld.
- Pizza Hut: The hoardings state that âRs. 99 on any meal any day.â This is not factually true.
- International Pvt Ltd: Bisleri Vedica claims that it is âanti-acidic spring water from Himalayas.â
- United Biscuits Pvt. Ltd: Mcvitieâs Digestive Biscuit claims that âEvery biscuit has 'Maida' (Wheat Flour), whereas their biscuits have 'Atta' (whole wheat flour). The content of the biscuits says that it also contains 36% 'maida' (wheat flour) and only 23% 'Atta' (whole wheat flour). Hence their claim is totally misleading that their biscuit is made of 'Atta' (whole wheat flour).â
- Saboo Sodium Chloro Ltd: Surya Salt claims that âScientists believe that by consuming sambhar salt regularly you can get rid of joints painâ,Â âother than that it can protect us from stomach diseases, acidity even skins diseases and many other diseasesâ,Â âSurya salt has many merits. It contains right amount of Iodine, which eliminates brain diseases and helps in the mental growth of childrenâ.
Rameshwaram Vishwa Vidyapeeth University & Kendriya Vishwavidyala University: The CCC concluded that the websites claim of the âUniversities being accredited by the British Accreditation Councilâ was not substantiated and was misleading.Â The websites claims contravened Guidelines for Advertising of Educational Institutions and Programs as well as Chapters I.1 and I.4 of the ASCI Code.Â The complaint was upheld.
V-Guard Industries Ltd: V- Guard Water HeatersTVC shows âa woman being stared at, touched pushed and groped in a bus. On reaching her office she is yelled at by her boss. And on her way back she is whistled at. On reaching home she has a bath using V-guard water heaters and the ad states, âDho Daliye Roz ki Pareshanniyo Koââ. This ad is promoting sexual harassment of women. The CCC viewed the TVC and concluded that the depiction of a woman shown in situations of helplessness and acceptance of sexual harassment is likely to cause grave or widespread offence.Â The advertisement contravened Chapter II of the ASCI Code.Â The complaint was upheld.
TheÂ CCC found following claims in TVC by 2 differentÂ advertisersÂ violated Chapter III.3 of the ASCI Guidelines on advertisements for automotive vehicles and hence the complaints against the ads wereÂ upheld.
- Maruti Suzuki India Ltd: Maruti Alto 800 TVC shows âa couple celebrating Diwali and when asked about the extra diya, the wife says it is for her parents who stay far away. And they travel with the diya in the car and reach the house. The wife says surprisingly the oil in the diya is intact and the husband agrees whilst looking at the dashboardâ. The advertisement sends a dangerous message of carrying an oil lamp in the car. It flouts the safety rules and spreads a dangerous message.
- TVS Star City: The TVC shows a woman pillion riding without a helmet.
Future Bazaar: The Big Bazaar TVC shows a women riding pillion without helmet. The CCC concluded that the visual of a pillion riding woman and also shown without a helmet promotes unsafe practices. The advertisement contravened the Guidelines on Advertisements for Automotive Vehicles.Â The complaint was upheld.
Lal Kitab Amrit: The advertisement of the book âYes I Canâ claims that this book will relieve the sorrows and misery of everyone who will buy this book. The CCC concluded that the claims made in the TVC were not substantiated, and were misleading by gross exaggeration. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and I.4 of the Code.Â The complaint was upheld.