A high majority (58%) of people prefer to watch the FIFA Football World Cup on TV, while 27% prefer to watch it on mobile, as per the findings of Axis My India’s Consumer Sentiment Index (CSI).
Axis My India has released the latest findings of the India Consumer Sentiment Index (CSI), a monthly analysis of consumer perception on a wide range of issues.
The report for the month of December highlights consumers’ preferred mode of media consumption for varied needs such as reading, listening to music.
While the popular choice for music continues to be YouTube as mentioned by 39%, TV is seen as a second favourite reflecting the view of 18% followed by radio at 4%.
The survey further captured interest and enthusiasm around the ongoing FIFA World Cup where in 27% will watch them on their Mobile. Interestingly, 35% of the people still read Newspapers every day.
The December net CSI score, calculated by percentage increase minus percentage decrease in sentiment, is at +07, from +09 last month - reflecting a decrease by 2 points.
The sentiment analysis delves into five relevant sub-indices – Overall household spending, spending on essential and non-essential items, spending on healthcare, media consumption habits, entertainment and tourism trends.
Key findings of the survey are:
- Consumption of media (TV, Internet, Radio etc.) has increased for 21% of the families, which is same as last month.
- Overall household spending has increased for 56% of families which reflects a decrease by 3% points from last month.
- Spends on essentials like personal care and household items has increased for 46% of the families, which is the same as last month.
- Spends on non-essential and discretionary products like AC, Car, and Refrigerator has increased for 8% of families, which reflects a decrease by 3% from last month.
- Expenses towards health-related items such as vitamins, tests, healthy food has surged for 42% of the families, which is the highest in the last three months. This reflects an increased consumption by 3% from last month mainly because of the onset of the winter season.
- Mobility has increased for 6% of the families, which reflects a decrease by 1% from last month.
On topics of current national interest:
- Capturing the enthusiasm around the FIFA world cup, Axis My India’s CSI Survey discovered that 17% would be watching some key matches while 9% would be watching all matches. Gauging the preference in terms of viewing medium, the survey revealed that more than half of those surveyed (58%) would view it on TV, whereas 27% and 12% will view it on Mobile and OTT platforms respectively.
- The survey also threw light on the newspaper reading routine of consumers and the preferred music medium, thus reflecting on consumers personal media engagement habits. The survey found out that 35% read newspaper every day and 39% prefer to listen to music via YouTube. TV channels forms the second favoured medium for music listeners.
- Demystifying the nature of consumers’ engagement with instore promotional offers, the survey unveils that 34% notice promotional offers running in stores and 50% of those who notice these promotional offers indicated that it would influence their final purchase decisions.
- Deep diving into the entertainment sector, the survey exposed that Amitabh Bachchan (with 15%) is the most preferred actor, whose movies consumers like to watch the most, followed by Akshay Kumar at 7%, Salman Khan at 6%, Allu Arjun at 5% and Shah Rukh Khan at 4%.
- Exploring sentiments around India's biggest male celebrity (in sports/movies/art except political), the survey revealed that Virat Kohli with 25% is India’s favourite, followed by Amitabh Bachchan with 21% and Sachin Tendulkar at 17%. Furthermore, the survey found out that PV Sindhu with 11% is the biggest celebrity in female category, followed by Mithali Raj with 10%.
- In an attempt to understand consumer year-end travel plans around holidays, the survey points out that 21% would go on a domestic holiday this season. Deep diving into the considerations, the survey indicated that 23% would base their decision on the cost, while 17% would base it on the season and destination. Family decision falls under the third set of considerations when planning for holidays.
Pradeep Gupta, Chairman and MD, Axis My India, said, “Media consumption trends in the country is growing and evolving with the changing times. From newspapers to news apps, nowadays consumers have access to information at a jiffy. While age-old newspapers remain to be a reliable source of information for a section of the population, FM Radio falls below new age platforms such as YouTube in consumers consideration set when it comes to music. TV however continues to dominate the viewership score for big ticket events such as FIFA Football World Cup aiding to the big screen experience of consumers. Consumers’ favouritism towards celebrities across profession and states from Mr Bachchan, Virat Kohli, PV Sindhu to Allu Arjun reflect on how media consumption has broken barriers in terms of entertainment consumption. This again ties back to the growing digitalisation and availability of varied modes of media consumption.”