Be it the endless wait for Bloomberg|Quint to get a license or Star Indiaâ€™s proposal of changing Channel V to Star Sports Kannada, the Indian broadcast industry is struggling with many such issues that need governmentâ€™s attention. In its latest recommendation, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has suggested several steps to simplify the processes in order to ease of doing business in broadcasting sector.
The authority, after consultation paper and open house discussion with the stakeholders, has recommended following steps:
- The process of granting of permission/license/registration for broadcasting services should be streamlined by removing redundant processes, re-engineering necessary processes, and making them efficient using ICT.
- The government should setup an online integrated portal for broadcasters, teleport operators, and distributors of TV channels, which should facilitate the filing, processing and tracking of applications, payments, frequency assignments, endorsements and renewals with common database.
- The security clearances required for grant of permission/license for broadcasting service sould be issued within a period of 60 days.
- The existing procedures of referring the applications to empanelled Chartered Accountants and Dept. of Revenue for verification of relevant compliances, do not lead to any value addition. Therefore it should be replaced by a system of self-declaration.
- Allocation of spectrum for the commercial satellite usage should be carried out throughout the year. The current procedure of intermittent opening of window neither has any stated objective nor it ensure judicious use of space spectrum.
- The wireless operating license issued by WPC should be valid for period equivalent to service license/permission period with a provision of renewal on annual basis.
- All processes, including time taken by MIB, WPC, DoS, MHA and NOCC for issuing permissions/licenses for broadcasting services, should be completed within 6 months period.
- The procedure for effecting changes in the logo, name, language and format should be simplified.
- The registration of LCO and its renewal should be carried out through online portal.
- The government should contemplate creating a centre of excellence exclusively for broadcasting services.