‘A Day in the Life of an Indian Woman’ through BARC’s eyes
BARC India delves deep into data to find out the reality of viewership patterns among women divided by markets, socio economic classification and choice of programme during different time-bands on weekdays and weekends
BestMediaInfo Bureau | Delhi | June 27, 2016
Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) India has released its first THiNK newsletter – an initiative to offer viewership insights to advertisers, media agencies, broadcasters and others in the media fraternity. Titled ‘A Day in the Life of an Indian Woman’, the insight documented by the joint industry body attempts to answer vital questions like:
- How a typical day in the life of an Indian woman is being spent by various day parts during weekdays vs weekends
- The various content themes she prefers watching on TV by dayparts during weekdays vs weekends
- If media is a game of reach and engagement, then where does each daypart of woman audience stand?
- How different/similar is the day in the life of an Indian woman for HSM vs South, Upper vs Lower social grades during weekdays vs weekends?
- And finally, what are the learnings for the marketing and communication professionals in India?
Reality of Weekday by Programme Theme: Urban vs Rural vs Mega Cities:
- The viewership pattern of women does not differ/discriminate between urban, rural and mega cities.
- Movies – The daypart 1300-1600 hrs registers relatively higher share compared to other day parts. One of the potential time-band to target female audience through ‘Movies’ on TV.
- Kids – The female viewership for kids enjoys the highest share of pie during 0700-1000 hrs as compared to any other time-band for both urban and rural India, whereas women from mega cities maintain same share of viewing from 0700 to 1900 hrs.
- Series (Fiction) – It just validates the conventional wisdom/knowledge of fiction series. It starts building up 1000 hrs onwards and peaks during 1900-2200 hrs. No surprises observed.
- News – Surprisingly, news related content is being preferred most during early morning hours compared to any other dayparts.
Reality of Weekday by Time-bands: Urban vs rural vs mega cities
- 0700-1000 hrs: In this daypart content such as News and Non-Fiction series are urban skewed whereas Movies and Kids are rural India skewed. In fact, Kids, Music and News as programme theme are watch highest during this day part than any other day part across Urban, rural and mega cities.
- 1000-1300 hrs: Interestingly, 1000 hrs onwards female viewership share of Series – Fiction is almost more than double the viewership share of previous dayparts and drops significantly in their consumption of news, music and kids content across urban, rural and mega cities.
- 1300-1600 hrs: As day progresses, viewership share of news, music and kids content marginally drops and stays high on consumption of series across urban, rural and mega cities. Movies as content theme is highest during this daypart for urban, rural and mega cities.
- 1600-1900 hrs: Indian women from urban India, rural India and mega cities drop their Movie consumption and increase news, kids and music consumption marginally. This could be the result of less available time for watching TV for longer duration for content like movies.
- 1900-2200 hrs: During this daypart Indian women across urban, rural and mega cities drop visibly in their viewership share for news, music, kids and movies and sharply increase their consumption of fiction series. This fact is very much in line with what is known as per conventional wisdom.
- 2200-2330 hrs: This time-band onwards there is a sharp decline in the share of series – fiction, while on the other hand, share of news becomes almost double the previous daypart. Series – non fiction viewership share of Indian women goes up sharply.
Reality of Weekend by Programme Theme: Urban vs Rural vs Mega Cities
- News vs Fiction series – There is some elasticity between news and fiction series. During 1000-1300 hrs share of viewership for news drops to almost half of the previous daypart whereas fiction series double up across urban, rural and mega cities.
- Movies – Weekends are ideal for Movies as women prefer watching movies during weekends more than weekdays. This substantiates that watching a movie with family on weekends is preferred more than watching a movies during noon time on weekdays.
- Kids – The viewership pie for Kids does not differ significantly between weekdays and weekends for urban, rural and mega cities.
- Talk show – Women prefer to watch ‘talk show’ during late prime time hours on weekends whereas during weekdays there is hardly any movement observed during same time-band. Women may be the secondary viewers to their male partners/family members.
Reality of Weekend by Time-bands: Urban vs Rural vs Mega Cities
- 0700-1000 hrs: The viewership of urban women is driven by share of ‘news’ whereas the viewership of rural women is driven by the share of ‘fiction series’. Programme themes ‘kids’ and ‘movies’ are other differentiators between urban and rural women as both these themes are higher in viewership share in rural India as compared to urban India.
- 1000-1300 hrs: As day progresses, Indian women in rural, urban and mega cities double their viewership share of fiction series and drop almost half of their news viewership share compared to previous daypart. The major difference between a typical weekday and weekend is the viewership share of ‘movies’ which is almost double during weekend as compared to weekday across urban, rural and mega cities.
- 1300-1600 hrs: During this daypart the share of ‘music’ and ‘kids’ goes down whereas ‘movies’ stays at almost the same share as previous daypart for urban, rural and mega cities. However, the share of movies during weekends is significantly higher than weekday.
- 1600-1900 hrs: This early evening daypart witnesses the growth in ‘series – fiction’ and ‘news’ whereas share of movies goes down. This may be due to the fact that during this time-band the evening household chores starts and longer duration content such as movies is difficult for uninterrupted viewership.
- 1900-2200 hrs: During this daypart ‘fiction series’ goes up significantly whereas all other major content themes go down across urban, rural and mega cities.
- 2200-2330 hrs: Analysing this late prime time hours reveals that ‘series – non fiction’, ‘news’ and ‘talk show’ see a visible increase in their share across urban, rural and mega cities. On the other than, ‘fiction series’ see a drop in their viewership pie.
Reach and Average Time Spent pattern by various time-bands for women audience at all India level do not differ significantly between weekday and weekends. However, proportionately more woment can be reached on weekends as compared to weekdays.
Reality of HSM vs South: Weekdays vs Weekends
- On a typical weekday, women from south start their day with relatively higher share of viewership of ‘news’ and ‘non-fiction’ content on TV whereas women from HSM start their day on TV with higher pie for ‘fiction series’, ‘news’ and ‘kids’ content.
- Women from HSM and southern market have relatively higher share of music and kids related content in the morning time-bands on both weekday s and weekends.
- One of the visible differences between weekends in HSM vs weekends in south is the share of ‘non-fiction series’. Women in HSM prefer to watch non-fiction at late night time-band as against women from south who prefer it during early morning time-band.
- Movies, talk show and reality are being preferred more by women from southern market as compared to HSM market in comparison to any other programme themes.
Reality of NCCS AB F15+ vs NCCS CDE F15+: Weekdays vs Weekends
Socio economic status does not discriminate among women audiences during both weekday and weekends. Viewership share of movies seems to be a little higher among women from Lower NCCS than Upper NCCS.
Is rural rapidly emerging as new urban in India? Or Women viewers are unified in Indian in terms of viewership pattern?
- One of the key take away from analysis is that the preconceived notion of the urban female viewership pattern being significantly different from the rural female viewership pattern does not hold true.
- ‘News’ is one of the key programme theme in the morning time-band for female viewers from urban, rural and mega cities.
- The potential time-band for advertisers to opt for reality based content could be 1900-2200 hrs on weekends.
- Weekends could garner potential place in reach based media plan targeting women audiences.
- Non-fiction series differentiates between HSM and southern market as it picks up at late night time-band in SM and early morning time-band in southern market.
- Apart from series, the potential content for advertisers to target women from southern Indian could be movies, talk show and reality.
- Movies as content theme could fetch a better result among women from lower social grades as compared to upper social grades.
- Women prefer watching movies more on weekends as compared to weekdays. On weekends movies could be the potential option for advertisers to target not only women viewers but also other family members watching TV.
- During a typical weekday, female urban viewership of kids content on TV stays at almost same share of pie from early morning to early evening whereas female viewers pie from rural Indian drop in the afternoon time-band and pick up in the early evening time-band.
Click here to view the full insights: