ASCI upheld complaints against 132 out of 169 ads in October 2013
Education and Health & Personal Care categories continue to lead with the highest number of complaints received
BestMediaInfo Bureau | Mumbai | January 8, 2014
In October 2013, ASCI’s Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) upheld complaints against 132 ads out of a total of 162 complaints received. Education and Health & Personal Care categories continue to lead with the highest number of complaints received. There were some misleading ads which had a sizeable number of complaints against them.
Health & Personal Care
The CCC found the following claims in health and personal care product or service ads of 92 advertisers released in the press to be either misleading or false or not adequately / scientifically substantiated, and hence violating ASCI’s Code. Some of the health care products or services ads also contravened provisions of the Drug & Magic Remedies Act. Complaints against the following ads were UPHELD:
- Navjeevan Nature Cure Center Claim: They help in ‘weight loss from 5 - 7 kg in one week with detoxification’.
- Hootone Remedies: The website claims to have cure for AIDS. Such medicines should be acclaimed and accredited by Government.
- RC Creatives Sales: Roomani Oil claims that it is ‘very famous for men's energy’. ‘Visual implies that the product is meant to enhance sexual pleasure.’
- Eli Pharmaceuticals: Claims it is ‘effective in giving shine to your face and removes black marks, it also prevents them to appear again.’
- Nature Care Wellness: Claims that it can give you ‘freedom from diabetes in just 6 months, no side effect, heals from roots.’
- Anand Clinic: Claims that it is ‘complete treatment and solution of low sperm count, hydrocele without operation, infertility lycoria & infertility caused due to liquor and diabetes’, it is ‘complete treatment of all sexual diseases.’
- Dr Anjali Shere Hair Science: Claims that it is the first ‘Robotic Hair Transplant Centre in Mumbai.’
- Hygienic Research Institute: Super Vasmol 33 claimed that it is a ‘Natural method to color hair’.
- Telemart Shopping Network: Fairpro claims that it ‘brightens up the complexion of dark skinned people in a very short time’.
- Vikas Publcity: Shreeji One Diabetes Kit claims that one can ‘Get 100% success from lifetime capsule or insulin’.
- Prince Pharma: 2 much Gold Capsules claims that ‘1, 50, 00,000 people have used it and are still using it.’
- Dr Shukla Sex Clinic: Claims that this clinic is a one a place ‘For most successful treatment of male weakness, premature ejaculation, semen in urine, infertility, less sperms and for all sexually transmitted diseases’.
- Ashirvad Enterprises Ltd: Ashirvad Pure claims that it is ‘India's only one company who provides RO+UV+UF with pH Enhancer’.
- Jeevan Jyoti Fertility Hospital: Claims that it gives ‘Complete treatment of infertility’.
- Win Diabetes Clinic: Claims that it ‘Gets you rid of painful injections of insulin in just 10 days’, ‘100% effective herbal product’, ‘no magic, no miracle, astonishing result of years of research.’
- Krushnakant Sanjivani Natural Spondylitis & Obesity: Claims that it gives ‘100% guaranteed Ayurvedic treatment’, ‘Obesity in 3 months reduces 10-15 kgs.’
- Dr Manjiris Instasculpt: Claims that it is a ‘Safe, Permanent, Instant & Non-surgical treatments for Figure, Face & Hair.’ One can ‘lose up to 10 kg in 10 weeks’.
- Melblok Treatment Centre: Claims that ‘Melblok treats hyper or dark pigmented skin patches, blemishes, dark circles, uneven complexion, dull skin, acne marks, melasma, rough skin & open pores’. ‘Melblok clears acne with its marks completely, when everything fails.’
- Sanjeevani Homeopathic Medical Center: Claims that it gives ‘Successful treatment of all types (gall bladder and kidney) of stones without any cut and operation with the help of complete homeopathic medicines.’
- Dr Pandya skin Clinic Cosmetic & laser Center: Claims that it gives ‘Freedom from baldness (treatment through stem cell technique)’, ‘Benefits: growing of natural hair, growing of hair without Surgery’, ‘No need of hair transplant, no side effect, affordable and easy treatment.’
- Yog Vigyan Sansthan: Claims that it gives ‘permanent cure for sex diseases so that you get rid of consuming medicines every now and then & gives instant benefit.’
- Shree Baidyanath Ayur Bhawan: Baidyanath Mahasudarshan Ghanbati claims that it is the ‘best medicine for fever’, ‘useful in all kinds of fever (new, outworn, malaria and typhoid).’
- Sri Ram Hospital Group: Claims that it gives ‘benefits of surgery for obesity- get rid of diabetes, blood pressure, and heart problem.’
- J P Dikshit Yog &Prakrutik Chikitsalay: Claims that it gives ‘successful treatment of all incurable diseases without medicines like Eczema, Psoriasis.’
- Detox Supplements: Claims that it is a ‘sure solution for liver diseases.’
- Parul Homeo Laboratories P Ltd: Heightex Tablets implies that the product is meant to affect stature.
- Looks Cosmetic Clinic: Claims that they can alter looks with ‘No Surgeries, No Needles, No Pain, No Downtime, No Side Effects , Lipo Laser - Lose up to 5-20 inches in a month.’
- Dr Shukla Sex Clinic: Claims that it is ‘No.1 sex clinic of Kanpur since last 15 years.’
- Dr Kamlesh G Laser & Body Care: Claims that it helps you ‘Reduce 10 to 12 inch in just 2 hours.’
- Gift Gyno IVF and Infertility Centre: Claims that ‘5,000 infertile couples have had successful pregnancies through GIFT Centre.’
- Shape & Glow: Claims that they give ‘Guaranteed 5 Kg weight loss’, ‘Lipo Laser removes fat.’
- Slimming Beauty and Hair Clinic: This clinic has infringed on the Richfeel Anagrow logo as well as the images used by Richfeel have been used.
- Torque Pharma (No Scars): Claims that it gives ‘effective medicine for removing scars’ and ‘reduces and removes scars & marks.’
- Shree Kalyan Ayurvedashram: Claims that they give ‘successful treatment for white spots’. ‘After beginning the treatment, white spots will reduce and will appear as normal skin complexion’, ‘guaranteed benefit by treatment.’
- OPTM Health Care: Claims that with ‘No Surgery, No Injections, No Oral Medicines, Free your knee from pain forever.’ ‘Organic Phyto Therapeutic Method (Several chronic conditions listed such as gout, osteoarthirtis, spondylosis etc.).’
- S.P. Pharmaceuticals (Penzy Hair Oil/Capsule): Claims that it ‘stops baldness, breaking of hair and hair fall.’
- Premi Skin Hair & Laser Clinic: Claims that it is a ‘Permanent treatment of white spots and surgical spots, baldness, laser therapy of unwanted hairs, warts.’
- Re-Touch Hair & Skin Clinic: Claims that one can ‘now get 100% freedom from Asthma and White spots.’
- Ghai Hospital: Claims that they help cure ‘manly weakness and is a guaranteed sure treatment of mistakes in childlessness, increasing age, impotency due sugar, early fall, undeveloped organ, night fall, breast beauty, childlessness, nil sperm count’, ‘effect from the very first day’. ‘After discontinuing the medicine the disease won't happen again.’
- S D Industries (Zosh Capsules): The advertisement’s visual implies that the product is meant for enhancing sexual pleasure.
- American IVF & Test Tube: Claims that they provide ‘successful treatment to unblock the Fallopian Tube without any operation’, ‘lakhs of people have benefited from this technique and are living a happy life.’
- Sri Om Ayurvedic Seva Sansthan: Claims ‘100% successful treatment of Brain, Heart, Liver, Kidney, stomach disease, kidney stone, prostate, Obesity, skin disease, Diabetes, Arthritis and STD and Sexual disease etc.’
- Meghdoot Sewa Gramodyog Sansthan: ‘Meghdoot Gramudyog- Meghdoot Madhu Shoonya Churan’ is misleading.
- L G Hair Beauty Centre: Claims to ‘get rid of baldness in 2 hours.’
- Prince Pharma: ‘2 Much breast capsule is useful for ‘twice efficacy and ‘make breasts attractive and feel beautiful.’
- Vee Excel Drugs & Pharma: Obitek Herb Capsules claims that it can help you ‘reduce weight and maintain figure, burns harmful cholesterol content’.
- Krishna Kripa Industries: Sugarnil Powder Claims that it can controls sugar and get rid of its side effects on eyes, kidney, weakness of nerves, weak bones, calcium deficiency, pain, numbness of hands and legs, fatigue, uninterested in working and generates new energy in the body.
- Darling Buds Hair Transplant: Claims it is India's largest hair restoration centre with being world pioneers in FUE, doing the largest volume of FUE hair transplants in Asia as a stand-alone clinic. It claims to be the ‘most trusted & respected world over’.
- Dr Anjali Shere Hair Science: Claims that the robotic hair transplant technique has 100% perfection in the treatment with 0% human error and doctor guided. It gives genuine stamp paper guarantee’, ‘5000 happy clients’ Ad using images to justify the before and after results of the patient.
- Goodcare Pharma Pvt Ltd: Ezi Slim Slimming Tea burns excess fat, increases metabolism, limits false hunger, reduces transformation of carbohydrates to fats, keeps the heart healthy, 100% natural and no side-effects.
- R.T.C. Enterprises: Claims that Celebrity Lift technique brings fairness of skin and promises to remove wrinkles and double chin.
- Diabetic Cell: Claims the cell to be World's Safest Diabetic Treatment with a tag line saying ‘Eat what you love without a worry, 76% of our Diabetic patients are now happy.’
- Pappu Guptakrut Range of Products: Claims that the products stop hair breakage in 30 days. Within a course of 45 days, the products claimed to start growth of hair within 8- 20 days, stopping baldness in 180 days’, growing black hair from the roots which has become white untimely, getting relief from dandruff in 3 days and completely rid of it in 20 days up till 10 years.
Dr. Shakti’s Hair Harmony & You: Claims that it brings the breakthrough technique d-DHT for the 1st time in Mumbai. ‘Don't get conned, get genuine hair transplant HHY writes breakthrough technique d-DHT. ’
- Win Diabetes Clinic: Claims that Lady Fresh Gel range of products helps cure the looseness of vagina and whitens the area, works as a complete ayurvedic medicine to manage your private parts, made of pure ayurvedic medicines and is harmless
- Appropriate Miss Beauty Capsules: Claims that the capsules are the 1st in India as skin whiteners. ‘The most trusted formula that blocks the formation of dark pigmentation melanin’, the benefits claim to add permanently fairer and pinkish glow to the skin; Lightening dark eye circle and spots, heal dark spots caused by Acne / Pimple; Underarms / Bikini line will lighten.
- Vibgyor Clinic: Claims that the clinic could cure sex problems which include permanent treatment of nightfall, early fall, stress, semen in urine, indesire (in male or female), physical/mental weakness, depression by Ayurvedic medicines, joint pain - complete successful treatment of Arthritis, pain and swelling, spondylitis, migraine by Ayurvedic medicines, successful treatment of psoriasis, white spots, eczema, pimples, wrinkles, and other skin diseases by Ayurvedic medicines.
- Somi’s Glow Plus Solution: Claims that Somi's has developed Glow Solution & Glow Plus Solution which are special Ayurvedic solutions for hair growth whose results will be shown in only 3 months of proper application. Visuals of the TVC are misleading showing Glow Solution & Glow Plus Solution to be catalysts for hair makeover.
- Wet & Dry Personal Care: Claims that Everteen Vaginal Tightening Gel ‘helps maintain vaginal health, tighten and revitalize vagina, rejuvenates vaginal muscles, tone and vigor in vagina, improves lubrication and reduce dryness, removes vaginal harmful bacteria, restores post-delivery vaginal elasticity and enhances sexual pleasure’.
- Procter & Gamble Hygiene & Health Care: Pantene Hair Fall Protection sachet states that ‘Maa banne ka baad baal toh tut te hi hain! Shampoo badal Pantene try kar. Iska pro-V formula balon ka tutna kam aur unhe lamba banane me madad karein’.
- Relief Accupressure Clinic: Claims Dr Batras Homeopathic Clinic to be a successful treatment of each and every disease. ‘6 lakh hair patients successfully treated’, ‘90% hair patients will not change to any other brand for treatment - AC Nielsen study’, ‘India's Only Trusted Homeopathy Brand - The Brand Trust Report, 2013’
- Dr Dilbagh Clinic: Claims assured treatment of mistakes of childhood, sexual weakness due to sugar, premature ejaculation, under developed organ, urine disease, semen in urine, night fall, less sperm count, no physical development, not feeling hungry, no weight growth, no height growth and piles.’
- Sun Laboratories P Ltd: Claims that Titanic K2 Capsules is the no.1 in power capsules with 10 years of success, 100% Ayurvedic, correct treatment for excitement and energy. ‘Feel energetic in just one capsule’, ‘No side effect’
- Vee Excel Drugs & Pharma: Claims that Vegafem make breasts attractive, effective for treatment of flat chest, safe alternative to expensive surgery, stimulate healthy breast growth, no flabby breasts, full, firm & younger looking cleavage, no scientific human hormones and completely herbal.
- Dewan Farms: Claims that it penetrates into the pores of the knees and stops the noise made by joints and makes grease. ‘Grease oil for knees.’
- Balaji Ayurved Sansthan: Claims that Bebo B C Capsule & Massage Oil is the ‘Breast care capsule, tel and cream, No Side Effect’
- Prince Pharma : Claims that CP Gold Capsule and Syrup is used to improves the efficiency of organs by energising it.
- Kaleesuwari Refinery: Eldia Enriched Hair Oil has natural UV protection. It is enriched with virgin pomegranate seed oil, blue lotus flower and tomato extracts, and natural Vitamin E in coconut oil that provides protection from harmful sun rays.
- Dabur India: New Fem Anti Darkening Hair Removal Cream has a visual and mention of sandal. However, the product ingredient declaration is misleading since it does not have sandal in the ingredient list.
- Meck Pharmachem: Claims that Glucomeck Tablets is the only alternative to operation with ‘no side effects.’
- MOD Innovative Care: Claims that their techniques help get rid of baldness in 2 Hours. ‘Do Comb, Shampoo, Color Etc. Note This Is Not A Wig’ and ‘Get Rid Of Obesity permanently.’
- B. Lab: Claims that using the GLO Brightening Intense System product leads to the fairness of skin in human beings: and it promises to remove wrinkles and double chin, which is misleading. This advertisement is exploiting the vulnerable situation of people.
- Makewell Pharmaceutical: Claims that use of Speed Height Capsule helps increase in physical stature.
- Janta Hospital: Claims that the hospital has 100% successful way and effective treatment for White Spots, oldest of the spots will get removed from its roots.
- Oshea Herbals: Claims that Oshea Herbals Hair Vitaliser prevents baldness.
- Libra Ayur Lab: Claims that Hairton Tablet stops hair fall and baldness.
- Dr. A K Jain Clinic: Claims that the clinic is no.1 in world's top 2 sexologists. It has a complete solution for sexual disease.
- B Lab Complaint: Claims that their product, Pro Hair makes an impression & leads to cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of Baldness in human beings.
- Lal Kitab Amrit: Claims that ‘It is the key to success and can resolve any worry.’
- Tulsi Amrit Pvt Ltd: Claims that Tulsi Amrit is a very high result of their Ayurvedic preparation made from Tulsi plant by Anil Bansal, Vedic Upchar Sansthan.
- LÓreal India: LÓreal Fall Repair 3x shampoo TVC states: ‘Jadon me ho dum, to baal gire kum (Stronger the roots lesser the hair fall), Asli mazbooti jadon se aati hai (real strength comes from the roots), Kya apka shampoo deta hai jadon se mazboot baal? Mera deta hai (Does your shampoo strengthen from the roots? Mine does.)’
- Shreya Ayur Clinic & Panchkarm Center: Claims that their techniques help in 100% successful treatment of white spots (Leucoderma).
- Ayurwin: Nutri Slim Powder/Capsule ‘helps in melting the accumulated fat deposits’, ‘turns the body's fat into energy’, ‘controls the body's cholesterol’ and is ‘safe as it is an herbal product’.
- Kunnath Pharmaceutical: Musli power premium capsules ‘reduces ageing processes and ‘results starts within a week’.
- Hindustan Unilever: Claims that application of Dove Essential Nourishment Body Lotion will have soft skin even after 10 days of application. It means that consumer needs to apply the lotion only once and it gives soft skin for 10 days.
- 85. Ayurvedic Amrut: Claims that the product is ‘100% herbal medicines/products’, ‘cures ‘White Patches’ immediately, ‘enhances ‘memory ‘in 30 days’, cures ‘piles’ of any variety permanently’, ‘cures ‘Arthritis’ there by preventing surgery’, ‘prevents ‘hair fall’ completely’, ‘enhances hair growth’ and ‘reduces weight’.
- Branolia Chemical Works: Claims that Branolia is enriched with Brahmi Branolia for Memory & Health. It claims to develop intellect, cool, enhance memory.
- Dabur India: New Fem Anti Darkening Hair Removal Cream claims that Fem Hair removal cream is the “First Hair removal cream that does not let your skin darken” and “Say no to skin darkening by Hair removal cream”.
- Reliant Aqua: Claims that Reliant Aqua is India’s only one company who provides RO+UV+UF with pH Enhancer.
- Jalan Healthcare: The advertisement is discriminatory, disrespectful and offensive towards women in general and to overweight women in particular. It shows women, especially obese ones, in poor light and appears to be mocking their looks.
- Vegan Skyshop: Shaktivardhan Vaccume Therapy and Oil’s advertisement of this product/device makes an impression and it suggests & is calculated to lead to the use of such products as for the cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disorder/ condition of sexual impotence, premature ejaculation and spermatorrhoea and for the improvement in size and shape of the sexual organ, erectile disfunction & maintenance of erection of sexual organ in human being and thereby improvement of capacity of human beings for sexual pleasure.
- Omega Hospitals: The advertisement of this hospital claims that at ‘the end of 30-40 days radiation’, ‘pain free’, ‘outpatient procedure’ and ‘patient can resume activity immediately after session.’
- Hindustan Unilever: Fair and Lovely Fairness Cream’s ad claims that it’s a ‘laser focus like fairness treatment’. It’s advanced pink formula targets melanin- the pigmentation agent at its root and helps prevents skin from becoming darker.
Hindustan Unilever: The TVC of New Domex Zero Stain claims that “Zero Stain” with a super on it stating –“refers to effective removal of commonly found toilet stains like lime scale and rust on regular usage (as per lab test)” thus creating a wrong impression that it removes all stains (100%). It then caveats itself with a super which contradicts the name clearly as it refers to only effective removal of commonly found toilet stains like lime scale and rust only. The antimicrobial test does not cover the causative micro-organisms for the diseases quoted in the TVC. The claim support data was not considered to be adequate to claim “zero” values in the context of the TVC. The decision of this complaint being UPHELD stands.
CCC found following claims in print ads by 25 different advertisers were not substantiated, thus violating the ASCI Guidelines for Advertising of Educational Institutions and hence the complaints against the ads were UPHELD:
- IIB (Indian Institute of Banking): Promises a bank job within 45 days.
- Think and Learn Pvt Ltd: Claims that in BYJU Classes one can ‘Get trained by India’s best trainers’, ‘no one can do it better.’ It is ‘India’s leading aptitude trainer’.
- Alchemist: Claims that it gives the ‘Best CAT Result in Delhi once again 1 in 7’, ‘the institute with highest percentage selections in CAT consistently for the 6th consecutive year.’
- Triumphant Institute of Management Education: T.I.M.E. compares their number of admissions in CAT 2012 with that of their nearest competition in Gujarat (Endeavor) without adequate substantiation.
- Info Edge (India): www.shiksha.com advertisement claims that one can ‘Get Info on IIM Distance MBA Now. Recognized by DEC, UGC. Enquire Now Shiksha.com/IIM+ Distance+ MBA’.
- Kish Cat Classes: Their advertisement claims to give ‘Guaranteed admission in India's Top-20 best B-Schools.’
Complaints against advertisements of all the following educational institutes were UPHELD because of unsubstantiated claims that they ‘provide 100% placement/AND/OR they claim to be the No.1 in their respective fields’:
Vignana Jyothi Institute of Management, VKS College of Engg & Technology, College of Commerce, AIMS Education Campus, Bhai Gurdas Group of Institute, Fatima College of Engineering and Tech, Visskan Institute of Aviation Management, New Delhi Institute of Management, NCLP Computer Education, APG Shimla University, Sanjeevani Hospital, AICS (Academic Institute of Coaching & Studies), Takshshila Institute of Engineering and Technology, Rairangpur ITI/Baisingha ITI, Delhi Para Medical & Management Institute, Ambition Law Institute, RIMT Institutes, Bitcode Technologies
Think and Learn Pvt Ltd: The advertisement claims that in BYJU Classes “By Serial CAT topper”, which implies that consecutively year after year Mr BYJU is the CAT topper. “20,000 students are already learning from BYJU across India for CAT, making him India’s No.1 CAT Trainer” which implies that BYJU is currently training 20,000 students. “An incredible 1,200 students in every batch of BYJU” which implies that 1,200 students are learning in every batch of BYJU. The CCC concluded that the claims that BYJU is “Serial CAT topper” and “India’s No.1 CAT Trainer” were not substantiated. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code, and was UPHELD.
Havells India: Havells Wires claims that they have ‘Wires that don’t catch fire’, but the claim was not substantiated, and was misleading regarding the nature of the product, i.e., it being fire-proof. The ad contravened Chapters I.1 and I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Elgi Ultra Industries: Endura Pressure Cookers states ‘Aluminium causes Alzheimer, Kidney Damage, Parkinson’s, Sclerosis, Dementia and Liver Damage.* It was concluded that the claims that “Aluminium causes Alzheimer’s’ disease, liver damage, Parkinson’s, Sclerosis, dementia” were not substantiated and were misleading by gross exaggeration. Also, the advertisement unfairly denigrated other products. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1, I.4 and IV.1 (e) of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Kent Ro System: Kent Mineral RO Water Purifier claims that it has ‘Zero percent water wastage technology’, ‘retains essential minerals’, ‘100% purity’. These claims are not substantiated as the product water is less than input and report shows 50% water produced as product water from feed water. Nil drainage only means the waste water is retained inside the system temporarily in the tank for reject water and hence the said claim is misleading by ambiguity. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and I.4 of the Code. This complaint was UPHELD.
Bajaj Auto: The Bajaj Discover TVC shows the rider dangerously entering a small gap between two trailer trucks and he speeds and comes out. It is a wrong driving practice to overtake another vehicle on the left side. It is potentially risky to enter between two vehicles. CCC concluded that the actions depicted in the TVC were dangerous. The advertisement contravened the Guidelines on Advertisements for Automotive Vehicles and minimum lettering size and duration requirement of ‘Supers’. The ad contravened Chapters III.3 and III.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Tata Teleservices: The advertisement of Tata Docomo depicts kids dancing in the ad in their bare minimums. CCC concluded that some frames in the TVC showing ‘scantily clad children’ objectify a child’s body which is likely, in the light of generally prevailing standards of decency and propriety, to cause grave offence. The advertisement contravened Chapter II of the Code. It was UPHELD.
Food & Beverages
The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in these 8 advertisements were not substantiated. The ads contravened ASCI’s Code. The complaints were UPHELD.
- Ankur Herbals: Bherav Fast O Slim Herbal Tea claims that it is ‘Made from natural herbs, Fast o Slim keeps you healthy, light and active’, ‘Removes impurities from the blood and helps control your body weight and reduces excess fat’.
- GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare: The Horlicks commercial is downgrading milk as a liquid with bad smell and giving a negative image of it to the children.
- Jolly Pharma: The advertisement of Jolly Fat Go claims that ‘uncontrollable weight can be controlled that too without dieting’.
- Ganesh Grains: The advertisement of Ganesh Atta claims that is a ‘healthier than ordinary flour and helpful for digestion.’
- Shudh Plus pan Masala: The advertisement states that ‘chhotu’ is free with the shudh plus paan masala but does not describe chhotu which is in fact chewing tobacco. This paan masala company is giving a tobacco sachet free with the paan masala product. In India advertisement of tobacco products is illegal but the brand is openly advertising the product on FM radio and giving it for free.
- Saboo Sodium Chrolo: Surya Namak states that salt improves memory, and that in turn improves the grades in school.
- Gujarat Co-operative Milk Federation: Amul Butter claims that one can ‘eat milk with every meal, delight your health, eat milk with every meal and live every day, worry-free.’
Marico Ltd: The advertisement of Saffola Total states that ‘Double ratio of 2 to 1 in antioxidants vs. olive oil. The CCC concluded that the claim, ‘2 X double the antioxidant power than olive oil’, was inadequately substantiated. The context of using the comparison of antioxidant power along with the claim regarding benefits of antioxidants for heart was also misleading. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and 1.4 of the Code. This complaint was UPHELD.
Four various Astrologers’ advertisements making misleading claims like:
- 1. All India Open Challenge, 100% solution within 2 hrs for A to Z problems – Mirza Khan Bharti
- 2. 100% Solution within 7 hours. Come all your problems will be solved. – Baba Wasim Khan
- 3. A to Z problems confirm solution with 2 hours 100% with guaranteed – Miyan Abdul Haeej
- 4. If you are disappointed in business, domestic disturbance, love marriage, then come and get 101% solution in 5 hours – Baba Alam Shah
These Astrology ads spread superstitious ideologies and practices such as Black Magic which are scientifically not proven. They cause disappointment in the minds of consumers. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and I.5 of the ASCI Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Kalyan Jewellers: The advertisement states that ‘this is the result of Kalyan’s historical fight which they fought against wrong deeds of many jewelers who have taken undue advantage of uneducated customers and have infringed their rights and committed fraud with their hard earned money’. The CCC concluded that the claims made in the advertisement were not substantiated. Also, the advertisement unfairly denigrates other jewelers by implication. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and IV.1 (e) of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Telemart Shopping: The advertisement of Chole wale Hanuman Ji shows some TV actors claiming that if they buy the Chole wale Hanuman ji product, it would help the buyer get rid of the all the problems in their life. CCC concluded that the claims in the TVC were not substantiated and were so exaggerated as to lead to grave or widespread disappointment in the minds of consumers. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and I.5 of the ASCI Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
xoxo skyshop.com: The advertisement is of ‘Suraksha Kawach’, which claims to keep you safe from black magic, ghosts, negative vibes, etc. CCC viewed the website content of the advertiser that hosts the product complained against. In absence of any substantiation, the complaint was UPHELD as it violated Chapter I.1 of the ASCI code.
Olympia Incorporation: The advertisement of Mileage Plus claims that it can help ‘save petrol & increase your vehicle mileage up to 70%’, ‘increases average 25% to 70% (approx.)’, ‘increases power & performance of vehicle’, ‘reduces engine noise & vibration’, ‘increasing burning efficiency’, ‘increasing engine oil life’, ‘proven results of mileage plus kits already installed.’ The CCC concluded that the claims made in the Ad were not substantiated. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Pernod Ricard India: The advertisement of Seagram Imperial Blue (in Bengali) shows two hands holding conch-shells touching each other (conch-shells are used while worshipping Gods by Hindus). At the bottom of the hoarding ‘Ullash’ has been written, which means cheers. This is a surrogate ad for alcohol. CCC concluded that the ad was a surrogate ad for a liquor product, Seagram’s Imperial Blue, and contravened Chapter III.6 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Titan Industries: CCC reviewed the TVC and concluded that portion of the TVC showing three pairs of hands was implying indecent activity. This complaint was UPHELD as the TVC contravened Chapter II of the ASCI code.
Taylor Devices India: The advertisement states: ‘Do you know when earthquake occurs in other countries (what happens to the building). Technology used on earthquake.’ Statement said in the ad: ‘BIS code 1960 of Research & Technology used/mentioned.’ BIS trademark given is wrong. CCC reviewed the radio ad. CCC concluded that the claim of BIS standards not being updated since 1960 was not substantiated, and claim was misleading by omission. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
www.firstcry.com: The advertisement claims that ‘Everything at Re. 1’. CCC concluded that the claim offer of ‘Everything @ Re.1’ is misleading. The ad contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Uptec: The advertisement claims that it is the ‘Winner of Best Performance Award 2012’. The CCC concluded that the claim was not substantiated. It contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.