ASCI upheld complaints against 52 of 84 ads in March
Healthcare Category leads with complaints upheld against 23 ads
BestMediaInfo Bureau | Delhi | June 10, 2013
In March 2013, ASCIâs Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) upheld complaints against 52 ads. Healthcare, Education and Personal Care were the main categories that continued to make misleading claims and come under the scanner of the CCC.
HEALTH &PERSONAL CARE
The CCC found following claims in Health & Personal Care products or services ads released in Newspapers to be either misleading or false or not adequately/scientifically substantiated and hence violated the Chapter I of the ASCI code. Some of the Health Care product or services ads also contravened the provisions of the Drug & Magic Remedies Act. Complaints against the following ads therefore were UPHELD -
- Dabur India Ltd. Fem Anti Darkening Hair Removal Cream in their TVC claimed âThe 1st ever Hair Removal Cream that doesn't cause skin darkeningâ
- Procter & Gamble Hygiene & Health Care Ltd. - Pantene Pro-V Hair Fall Control claimed that it makes your hair damage-free in just 14 days
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd Pond's white beauty claimed to have a cream which stated, âOnce your spots disappear, they won't come back, even if they want toâ
- Johnson & Johnson Ltd. Johnsonâs Baby Lotion claimed that it has âmoisture restore formulaâ that helps in development of baby skinâ
- Dr. Monga Clinic claimed that they help in increasing height and stopping hair fall and getting bald
- Hygienic Research Institute Pvt Ltd. Walnut oil in Streax claimed that it penetrates deep into each hair shaft and nourishes it from within
- Vaarid Herbal Face Pack claimed to cure wrinkles, brown spots, dark circles
- SBSÂ Biotech Kesh King Hair Oil claimed that â8 Crore Indians trust the brandâ
- Soliel International Bt-36 Breast Toner Capsules/Cream claimed Bt-36 Breast Toner Capsules/Cream is 100% Ayurvedicâ
- Shri Hari Health Care claimed that it cured various ailments
- OPTM Health Care claimed that it drives away your pain, without any oral medication
- Apex Hospital Cancer Institute claimed âMost successful treatment of Cancer in any part of the body with the help of Radiotherapy, linear accelerator, high dose brachytherapy, cancer surgeryâ
- ClinTech Medical & Aesthetic Center claimed freedom from Piles forever with no invasive procedure, no hospitalization, no cuts, no scars
- Ag Herbs (Singapore) Pte Ltd. claimed âRemoving varicose vein without any surgery. Remove back pain permanently. Remove knee pain permanently. No steroids, no injections, no surgeryâ
- AyushÂ Homeopathy claimed complete solution for white spots
- Jolly Pharma Range of Products claimed that the products are manufactured from rare and valuable Himalayan herbs and roots. Jolly Red Gold reaches deep into the skin and enhances the joint fluid found in the joints and prevents accumulation of uric acid. It strengthens weaker tissues that support bone joints. Swelling and pains are gone completely after its use. Jolly Red Gold provides total relief in 10-15 days without any side effects.
- Sino-Vedic Cancer Clinic claimed that their formulations are unique herbal remedies that fight cancer at every step
- Zydus Wellness Ltd. Zydus Arogya Range Of Products Musli Vital, claimed for powerful and energetic sex
- Doctor House - Jodhpur Rashtriya Nasha Mukti Kendra claimed to relieve you from drug and smoking in just one day guaranteed
- Dr. Shah Advance Homeopathy claimed to be India's most trusted Homeopathy brand
- Nutrayu Healthcare Pvt Ltd. Men Club Capsules adimplies that the capsules for men are sexual pleasure enhancing benefit
- Baldev Industries/Yogi Herbal Skin Cleanser Anti Marks claimed to reduce dark circles and scars in just seven days
- Stosswelle Healthcare Pvt Ltd. claimed âFirst time in Indiaâ, âWith extracorporeal shockwave therapy the non-healing diabetic wounds and gangrene could be treated without performing any surgeryâ
- Kalpadroom Foods Pvt Ltd. Makalu Himalayan Organic Green claims to fight diseases like cancer, high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, obesity.
- Maruthua Pharma â Maruthwa Panchajeeraka Gudam claimed to give a graceful and perfect body within 3 months of its usage and the effects could be seen with consumption of just one bottle of Maruthwa Panchajeeraka Gudam
- Pailan Group POTO Potato Flakes claimed to be â100% sugar free and fat free. Certified by doctors, 100 % safe for diabeticsâ
- Magnum Intergrafiks Pvt Ltd. Ulset an ointment claimed âGood byeÂ to Ulcersâ
- Suvidha Advertisers claimed Successful conception based on research and assured pregnancy within 5 months of the course
- Novoston Plus Syrup claimed to get rid of kidney stones in just aÂ nine day course
- Nagavalli Herbal Products Madhu-Maaya Powder claimed Diabetes controlling medicine & no side effects
- RvitaÂ AyurvedaÂ Centre claimed âDiabetic Neuropathy problems can be cured through Arvitaâs treatment within 28 daysâ; âYour blood sugar can be controlled within three months by natural treatmentâ
The CCC found following claims in print ads by 14 different advertisers were not substantiated violating the ASCI Guidelines for Advertising of Educational Institutions and hence the complaints against the ads were UPHELD -
- Zaptech claimed that it provides 100% Â job guarantee
- Prolific Systems claimed 100% Â job guarantee, golden opportunity for 10th, 12th and ITI students, become an engineer (PCEE) and start earning after 4 months
- Jawed Habib Hair Academy India's No. 1 Hair Academy, 100% Â job Placement
- SCIT Institute ofÂ IT & Management claimed 10th 12th Direct Exam 100% passing guarantee with university recognized college degree
- Garima Career Foundation claimed that it provides 100% Â jobguarantee
- Mazenet Solution Pvt Ltd claimed â100% placement guaranteedâ. âWalk in as Â jobseeker and come out with guaranteed Â jobâ
- Treehouse EducationÂ & Access Pvt Ltd. claimed that it is India's largest self-operated pre-school chain as per CRISIL Research Industry Report, December 2010
- Univ Institute claimed a sure job for you with full time study, Indiaâs best since 1996 â International Quality Certified Institute
- BS Abdur Rahman University claimed 100% placement,Â multipleÂ offers and foreign placements
- Deshabhimani Anglo American claimed that it provides 100% Â job guarantee
- Institute Of Banking Personnel Selection Training claimed that it provides 100% Â job placement
- Sethu School of Banking claimed that it provides job in Central Government after clearing 10th standard
- Montfort Group of Institute claimed that it provides 100% Â job guarantee
- Ammu Digital Film Academy claimed that it gives guaranteed jobs in the fields of Direction, Editing, Cinematography, SoundÂ Engineering, Acting and Script Writingâ
The Economic Times: ET Now in their print ad claimed that âET Nowâ is the undisputed leader on the budget date, only our competitor will say it was a bad budget.â They have quoted ET Now has 64% of the market share and CNBC TV18 has 36% of the market share. The CCC noted the contents of the ad and concluded that the market share claimed by the advertiser was not adequately substantiated. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code; therefore, the complaint was UPHELD.
Honda Siel Power Products Ltd. In the Honda Brio TVC, the company had not mentioned anywherethat the features showed in the vehicles are not the part of the standard package. The CCC viewed the TVC and concluded that the features of the car portrayed in the ad were of the top variant and werelikely to mislead consumers into believing it was the standard package. The ad contravened Ch.1.4 of the Code and the complaint was UPHELD.
The CCC found following claims in print ads by 3 different advertisers as either misleading or false or unsubstantiated and hence the complaints against the ads wereUPHELD for violating Chapter I of the ASCI code-
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd. Brooke Bond shows tea as a replacement of exercise
- Agro Tech Foods Ltd. Sundrop Heart Oil claimed that, âSundrop Heart reduces cholesterol and increases lifeâ
- SRBH Technology Raashi Chakki Fresh Atta claimed that âRaashi Chakki Fresh Atta is Purer than flour made at homeâ
CONSUMER DURABLES -Â
Eureka Forbes Ltd. - Eureka Forbes Ltd in their print advertisement claimed âEvery morning, over 10 million mothers trust only Aquaguard â Paani Ka Doctor.â The complaint against âAquaguard Enhance- Green RO that saves upto 30% waterâ was NOT UPHELD as the advertisers were able to substantiate it with necessary scientific data. Whilst, the complaint against âEvery morning, over 10 million mothers trust only Aquaguard â Paani Ka Doctorâ was UPHELD. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1Â & 1.4 of the Code.
Panasonic Blue Water Purifiers in their print ad claimed âTurns water into a blessing- Swasthaaya Bhav- Alkaline Water for Healthy Lifeâ. The advertisers were not able to substantiate the claim with necessary data and inputs. The ad contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaint against the ad was UPHELD.
During the month of March, the CCC also received complaints against 32 other advertisements. The complaints were received against the advertisements of Aditya Birla Management Corporation Pvt Ltd - Idea 3 G, Akzo Nobel India Ltd â Dulux Guardian paint, Applect Learning Systems Pvt. Ltd â Meritnation.com, Cadbury (India) Ltd â Perk Glucose, Carrier Midea India Pvt Ltd â Midea Air Conditioners, Coca-Cola India Pvt Ltd â Maaza, Eureka Forbes Ltd. - Eureka Forbes Ltd, Ferrero India Pvt Ltd â Kinder joy Surprise, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd â Paradontax Toothpaste, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd â Horlicks, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd â ENO, HindustanÂ UnileverÂ Ltd â DoveÂ ElixirÂ HairÂ Oil, Hindwareâ Hindware Italian Collection, KLF Nirmal Industries Pvt Ltd â KLF Coconad Oil, Lalitha Jewelery Mart Private Limited, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd â Mahindra Quanto, Marico Ltd â Parachute Body lotion, Mother Dairy Fruit & Vegetable Pvt. Ltd â Mother Dairy Milk, My Dream Job, Naaptol.com â Ultra Slim Body Shaping Garment, Nitta Gelatin India Limited, Parle Products Pvt Ltd â Parle Londonderry, Perfetti Van Melle India Pvt Ltd â Center Fruit Chewing Gum, Procter & Gamble Home Products Ltd â Tide washing powder, Procter & Gamble Hygiene & Health Care Ltd â AmbiPur Home Perfume, Reckitt Benckiser (India) Ltd â Lizol Floor Cleaners, Redren Energy Pvt. Ltd, RichFeel Health & Beauty Pvt. Ltd â RichFeelAnagrow, Source page Learning, State Bank of India, Timex Group India Limited â Helix Timex watches, V-Guard Industries Ltd â V-Guard Inventor. However, as these advertisements did not contravene ASCIâs codes or guidelines, the complaints were NOT UPHELD.