Starting from the "Agency of the year" title to Dentsu Creative Bengaluru, to historic Titanium and Grand Prix wins, this year was loaded with many firsts for India and Indian agencies at the Cannes Lions 2022.
Here is the list of firsts which landed in India’s kitty at the International Festival of Creativity this year:
1. No one, including the creators of “The Unfiltered History Tour”, would ever have imagined the historic “Agency of the year” title to an Indian agency - Dentsu Creative Bengaluru. The campaign was created for Vice Media.
2. “The Unfiltered History Tour” became the only campaign to be awarded three Grand Prix and a Titanium Lion, globally, this year.
3. “The Unfiltered History Tour” was the first Indian campaign to have won three Grand Prix.
4. India opened its account in Titanium with two historic Lions wins. Ogilvy’s “Shahrukh Khan - My ad” campaign created for Cadbury Celebrations and Dentsu’s “The Unfiltered History Tour” bagged India’s first metals in this category.
5. Ogilvy’s Titanium Lion was the only Titanium win across WPP network agencies this year.
6. In Grand Prix, India (5) was second to USA (11), but it beat them 2-1 in Titanium Lions.
7. India beat UK in points earned from Grand Prix and Titanium. From Grand Prix and Titanium, USA earned 365 points while India’s points stood at 210. On the other hand, total points from Grand Prix and Titanium for UK stood at 185 points.
8. Leo Burnett Mumbai won its first Grand Prix this year. The agency won its first Grand Prix in the Sustainable Development category for the campaign “The Missing Chapter” created for P&G’s Whisper.
9. Whisper became the first brand from India winning Grand Prix in different years.
10. VMLY&R also won its first Grand Prix this year. The agency won a Grand Prix for Maxx Flash campaign “The Killer Pack” in the Health and Wellness category.
11. With a 47-metal haul, 2022 is the best year for India at Cannes Lions versus the 40-metal haul in 2017.
12. Byju's became the first Indian brand to win a Silver Lion as an entrant.
13. For the first time in history, India had 121 shortlists across categories.
14. India’s performance in 2022 was all round with 47 Lions coming from across 20 categories.
15. Indian agencies won Grand Prix in Sustainable Develpment and Social & Influencer categories for the first time.
16. India won four Lions including a Grand Prix for the first time in the Radio & Audio category.
17. For the first time, two Indian agencies crossed 100 points at Cannes Lions.
18. 2022 saw four agencies scoring over 80 points.
19. Dentsu Creative Bengaluru earned 184 points.
20. FCB India was the second most awarded agency acquiring 121 points from 14 Lions.
21. Ogilvy Mumbai put its best-ever performance earning 84 points.
22. VMLY&R emerged as the “dark horse” and earned 80 points.