The Dainik Bhaskar Group along with Ramesh & Sharda Agarwal Foundation have announced the “Dainik Bhaskar Merit-Cum-Means (MCM) Scholarship” at the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad, on the occasion of the 75th birth anniversary of Late Ramesh Chandra Agarwal.
On the occasion, the biography of Late Agarwal, “The Man Who Created The Dainik Bhaskar Group”, was launched. Author Bharati Pradhan wrote about the awe-inspiring life of the visionary, describing him as a champion with “an unparalleled taste for risk-taking and a thirst for venturing into the unknown”, and as the man “who gave the Hindi newspaper a hitherto unknown respect”.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath, former Chief Minister Shiv Raj Singh Chouhan and journalist Rajat Sharma were present during the launch.
To take Late Agarwal’s values forward and as a small tribute to his efforts towards uplift of society through education, gender equality and women empowerment, the MCM Scholarship is being established with a vision of promoting students who are meritorious, but lack means to provide for their higher education, which is relatively expensive in India.
For this initiative, Dainik Bhaskar Group and Ramesh & Sharda Agarwal Foundation intend to invest Rs 50 million over a period of 10 years initially, besides envision such scholarship programmes with many other educational institutions going forward.
Some of the salient features of the MCM Scholarship at IIM Ahmedabad are mentioned below:
* Four students will be selected each year through a holistic selection approach based on merit and means, for up to 50% scholarship on tuition fee towards a two-year course in MBA / MBA-FAMB stream.
* The shortlisting will be based on 50% weightage given to a student’s academic merit while the balance 50% weightage to the family’s annual income of below Rs 15 lakh.
* In each batch, 1/4th of the scholarship recipients will be reserved for female students.
* A five-member committee comprising two representatives from DBCL, two from IIM-A and one outside expert, will interview the candidates for awarding the scholarship.
* The scholarship will be initiated in January 2020 for the academic batch of 2019-21 and is planned to continue for the next 10 years.
Sudhir Agarwal, Managing Director, Dainik Bhaskar Group, said, “Shri Ramesh Chandra Agarwal, our Chairman and my beloved father, was a great visionary and a person of values who touched many lives with his simple being and high thinking. He was known to be easily approachable and was fondly referred to as, ‘Bhaisahab’ by people around him. As we celebrate his 75th birth anniversary, I feel deeply honoured to be a part of his legacy and on behalf of the entire Dainik Bhaskar Family, through the MCM Scholarship, I would like to pay a lasting tribute to his philosophy of giving back to the society and empowering the lesser privileged. His simplicity, modesty, ability to connect with people and the zeal towards business growth and betterment of the society will continue to inspire us in all our future endeavours.”