Taproot has ranked No. 2 in India. ‘Dumb Ways to Die’ by McCann Melbourne is the “most awarded Gunn Report campaign ever”. McCann Erickson tops globally
BestMediaInfo Bureau | Delhi | February 13, 2014
McCann Erickson was recognised in The Gunn Report 2013 for a number of first-place global rankings, including the most-awarded digital work of 2013 and the most-awarded agency in the world in 2013. McCann Melbourne was ranked first jointly with Weiden+Kennedy Portland/New York as the most-awarded agency in the world in 2013.
While McCann Melbourne won the lion’s share of the honours, McCann Madrid, McCann Oslo, McCann Mumbai and McCann New York all contributed to the winning rankings across the McCann network.
McCann India tops the list among Indian agencies in The Gunn Report 2013. At No. 2 is a young agency which has set a scorching pace – Taproot India. Globally, McCann India has ranked No. 21 and Taproot No. 41.
McCann Mumbai won three honours and was ranked one of the most-awarded agencies in the world in 2013. McCann Mumbai’s print campaigns for Western Union and for Penguin Audiobooks were both ranked among the most-awarded print campaigns in the world in 2013.
India as a whole ranked No. 9 globally in the country rankings, up from No. 13 in 2012. The top 5 countries were: USA (#1); Australia (#2); UK (#3); Brazil (#4); France (#5).
The Gunn Report analyses and evaluates all of the winners from what it regards as the world’s most important advertising competitions and produces a global ranking of the most-awarded ad agencies, campaigns, clients and countries.
There is obvious cheer in McCann India following the spectacular showing. An elated Prasoon Joshi, Chairman-CEO and Chief Creative Officer of McCann India, said, “I am pleased with this outcome, for the hard work and dedication that our teams put in has come to the fore with this concrete recognition. I also want to thank our admirable clients who believe in us and value ideas and long-term relationships.”
McCann Melbourne’s digital work for Metro Trains and ‘Dumb Ways To Die’ was the most awarded digital work in the world in 2013, and the TV commercial for this campaign was ranked No. 1 globally.
‘Dumb Ways To Die’ is now “the most-awarded Gunn Report campaign ever,” the Gunn Report said. McCann Melbourne’s combined work for Metro Trains and ‘Dumb Ways To Die’ was ranked second in the ‘All Gunns Blazing’ evaluation of all creative work in the world in 2013. McCann Melbourne was ranked third among the most-awarded digital agencies in the world in 2013. And McCann Melbourne’s print work for Metro Trains and ‘Dumb Ways To Die’ was the third most-awarded print work in the world in 2013.
“This is another great achievement for the entire McCann network, highlighted by the tremendous success of our Melbourne and Mumbai offices,” said Harris Diamond, Chairman and CEO of McCann Worldgroup. “The recognition across categories from digital to print to TV is a testament to the great work our people do all around the world.”
Indian agencies ranking in Gunn Report 2013:
|1||McCann Worldgroup (Mumbai)||2||13||0||1||16|
|2||Taproot India (Mumbai)||2||4||0||5||11|
|3=||Leo Burnett (Mumbai & New Delhi)||2||2||0||3||7|
|5||Ogilvy & Mather (Mumbai)||1||3||0||1||5|
Highlights from the 2013 Report include:
The Most Awarded Commercials in The World in 2013
1. Metro Trains • Dumb Ways to Die (McCann Melbourne) triumphs in the Film table and also takes first place in Digital, second place in All Gunns Blazing and third equal place in Print. The most awarded campaign in the history of The Gunn Report.
2. Southern Comfort • Whatever’s Comfortable – Beach (Wieden+Kennedy, New York)
3. Carlton Draught • Beer Chase (Clemenger BBDO (Melbourne)
4= Axe • Susan Glenn (BBH, New York)
4= Leica M Monochrom Camera • Soul (F/Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi, São Paulo)
The Most Awarded Print Ads & Campaigns in The World in 2013
1. Expedia Travel • Luggage Labels campaign (Ogilvy & Mather, London)
2. Harvey Nichols Sale • Pelicans (Y&R Dubai)
3= Coca-Cola • #Cokehands (Ogilvy & Mather, Shanghai)
3= Metro Trains • Dumb Ways to Die (McCann Melbourne)
3= The Sunday Times Rich List • Rich List 2013 pool (CHI & Partners, London)
The Most Awarded Digital in The World in 2013
1. Metro Trains • Dumb Ways to Die (McCann Melbourne)
2. Nike+ Fuelband • Nike+ Fuelband (R/GA, New York)
3. Adidas Neo • Window Shopping (TBWA\Helsinki)
4= Google / Lego • Build With Chrome (M&C Saatchi/Mark, Sydney)
4= The JFK Presidential Library & Museum • Clouds Over Cuba (The Martin Agency, Richmond VA)
The Most Awarded All Gunns Blazing in The World in 2013
1. Hemoba/Vitoria FC • My Blood Is Red & Black (Leo Burnett Tailor Made, São Paulo) – the most awarded campaign ever in All Gunns Blazing.
2. Metro Trains • Dumb Ways to Die (McCann Melbourne)
3. Nike+ Fuelband • Nike+ Fuelband (R/GA, New York)
4. Sports Clube de Recife • Immortal Fans (Ogilvy Brasil, São Paulo)
5. Samsung Life Insurance • The Bridge of Life (Cheil Worldwide, Seoul)
Most Awarded Campaigns Across Tables 1 – 4 in 2013
1. Metro Trains • Dumb Ways To Die
2. Hemoba/Vitoria FC • My Blood Is Red & Black
3. Nike+ Fuelband • Nike+ Fuelband
4. Dove • Real Beauty Sketches
5. Australian Defence Force • Mobile Medic
The Most Awarded Countries in The World in 2013
2. Australia break the 1 – 2 stranglehold that USA and UK have had for last 14 years.
The Most Awarded Advertisers in The World in 2013
Either Nike or Volkswagen has topped the table every one of The Gunn Report’s 15 years. This year it was Nike’s turn.
3. Axe / Lynx
The Most Awarded Production Companies in The World in 2013
1. First time at the top of the Table for Biscuit Filmworks (London, New York, LA)
2. Paranoid (Los Angeles, São Paulo)
3. MJZ (London, LA, New York)
4. Rattling Stick (London, Los Angeles)
5. Henry de Czar (Paris)
The Most Awarded Director in The World in 2013
1. Southern Comfort “Beach” (amongst many others) Director, Tim Godsall, is a clear winner.
2. Ringan Ledwidge (UK, USA)
3= Julian Frost (Australia)
3= Tom Kuntz (USA)
5= Steve Ayson (Australia, NZ, Thailand)
5= Marcos Kothar (Brazil)
The Most Awarded Agency in The World in 2013
1. A first time tie for first place - Wieden+Kennedy (Portland, New York) (who topped the table last year) and McCann (Melbourne) (first time in Top 50 table)
3. AlmapBBDO (São Paulo)
4. Ogilvy Brasil (São Paulo) (highest ever ranking)
5= BBH (London)
5= Clemenger BBDO (Melbourne & Sydney) (highest ever ranking)
The Most Awarded Agency in Digital in The World in 2013
Second time at top for R/GA (New York)
2. Forsman & Bodenfors (Gothenburg)
3. McCann (Melbourne)
4= AlmapBBDO (São Paulo)
4= Wieden+Kennedy (Portland, New York)
The Most Awarded Agency Network in The World in 2013
Rankings 1 to 4 are the same for the fourth year in a row but in a slightly different order. BBDO top the table for the eighth year straight.
4. Leo Burnett
5. McCann (highest ever ranking)
The Guest Editor for 2013 was Tony Granger, Global Chief Creative Officer of Y&R. He contributed his own personal commentary on The Report and chapters on the most awarded work in the Film, Print, Digital and All Gunns Blazing tables as well as being involved in making the final selections for The Showreel of The Year.
The tables in full, along with commentaries and all the winning work (as well as the 100 commercials appearing on the Showreel of The Year) are available to view at The Gunn Report online - www.gunnreport.com.
The book of The Gunn Report & Showreel of The Year 2013 will be available in mid- March and will include the results of The Gunn Report for Media 2013. It can be pre-ordered online now.