ASCI upholds complaints against 215 out of 240 advertisements in August 2013
Education and Health & Personal Care categories by far continue to lead with the highest number of complaints received
BestMediaInfo Bureau | Mumbai | November 5, 2013
In August 2013, ASCI’s Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) upheld complaints against 215 ads. Education and Health & Personal Care categories continue to lead with the highest number of complaints received.
Health & Personal Care
The CCC found the following claims in health and personal care product or service ads of 63 advertisers, released in the press to be either misleading or false or not adequately/scientifically substantiated and hence violating Chapter I of the ASCI Code. Some of the healthcare products or services ads also contravened provisions of the Drug & Magic Remedies Act. Complaints against the following ads were UPHELD:
- The Himalaya Drug Company: Himalaya Complete Care Toothpaste commercial communicates that anti-oxidant not only kills the germs but also removes toxins and strengthens the gums and teeth.
- L’Oreal India: Garnier Hair Colour claimed that the pack costing Rs 65 can last for two applications.
- Ban Labs Ltd: SESA Hair Care Range claimed that it ‘strengthens the roots’, ‘DTH hormones harm hair by sticking with hair roots due to which hair fall begins’, ‘Green tea present in the Sesa hair fall therapy prevents the growth of DTH. This, in turn, leads to less hair fall’, ‘Hydrolysed pea protein activates the stem cells present in the hair and thus makes them strong’, ‘See the difference in 6 weeks’.
- Ayurwin Range of Products: Their advertisementclaimed that ‘without any side affects you can lose your weight up to 5 to 10 kgs’.
- AG Herbs (Singapore) PTE Ltd (OPTM Health Care) claimed that it gives ‘permanent end to pain scientifically and naturally’.
- Dr Nigam’s Clinics: The advertisement claimed that ‘Dr. Nigam’s Hair Stem cell therapy helps with hair multiplication’, ‘Grow up to 30,000 plus hair*. (No qualifier for*)’
- Detox Supplements: Their advertisement claimed that it ‘helps to get rid of Jaundice within 5 days’.
- Omega Hospitals: Their advertisement claims quick cure at ‘The end of 30-40 days of radiation’ is ‘pain free’.
- Glam Wellness Hub: Cool Sculpting advertisement claimed that they help ‘transform your body without surgery or downtime.’, ‘US FDA-cleared treatment for guaranteed weight loss’.
- 19. Bagrecha Clinic: The advertisement claimed that one can ‘reduce fat in only 15 sitting with no dieting, no exercise, no side effect,’ it helps ‘reduce 3-6 Kg and upto 25 inches, Get spot reduction.’
- Abhishek Ayurvedic: Kidney stone removal without operation at Abhishek Ayurvedis’, ‘for white spots; there is a guaranteed result in just 30 days.’
- 21. Bharatbhai Anandvala Healthcare: Their advertisement claimed that they provide ‘ayurvedic treatment for having children. If it's not effective then get your money spent on the medicines back’.
- Sneh Ashram All in One Herbal Lemon Tea claims that ‘researches prove milk tea is more harmful than a black tea’, ‘it is not a medicine but may fight aging, reduce stress, increase immunity, reduce cholesterol, remove body toxins, and improve vitality - Veerya Vardhaka’.
- Care & Remedies: Their advertisement claimed that ‘by undergoing alternative herbal medicine system treatment; the old and developed piles gets cured’, ‘any types of food can be taken after the treatment.’, ‘no second time medicine.’
- Hindustan Unilever: Hamam Hand Sanitizer ad recommended usage of hand sanitizer instead of washing hands. Washing hands before food is very important and use of sanitizers cannot remove the dirt.
- Lievur: The advertisement claimed that ‘Lievur - 1 spoon (10 ml) every morning and get rid of all heart diseases’.
- Dr Monga Clinic claimed ‘Helpful course for physical development and increasing height which is necessary for those who want to join navy, police, films (T.V) or modeling
- Libra Ayur Lab Products: Their advertisement claimed that ‘Kunika Churn - Effective treatment of Kidney stone. As per the research of Ayurveda it has no side effects and is completely vegetarian, take 1-1-1 spoon 3 times a day which helps to give complete relief from pain without operation.’, ‘L.U.C Capsule- It helps to get rid of pain causing since virginity till menopause, white discharge and helps in smooth flow of mensuration.’, ‘O.B.C Capsule - Best medicine for women - men for reducing weight and for becoming beautiful and smart.’, ‘L.C.D. Capsule - Made from Indian herbs which are a best medicine for white spots, take it for 180 days white spots start getting red and become natural.
- Makewell Pharmaceutical: Speed Height Capsule advertisement claimed that it is an ‘effective Ayurvedic Medicine’, ‘helps in physical development.’
- Hindustani Dawakhana: The advertisement claimed that it is ‘imported power enhancer for men, ‘sure treatment for vitiligo.’
- Bharatbhai Anandvala Health Care: The advertisement claimed ‘100% Ayurvedic treatment’, ‘get blessed with a child’, ‘make kidney, urea, creatine normal.’
- Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan Pvt. Ltd: Vita-EX Gold The advertisement shows a man and woman in a naked position with both the woman's naked breasts showing very clearly.
- Jolly Pharma: Jolly Sunsex Gold Capsule/Oil in the print advertisement claimed that ‘White Musli with shilajit and saffron, a better formula’, ‘because quality is most important’, ‘Ayurvedic Medicine’, ‘very important for men’, ‘Sunsex gold capsule and oil’, ‘Feels like living every moment’
- Repl India-Super Sonic Caps/Saandhha Oil: In the print advertisement claimed that ‘New feelings every night. No.1 Power Capsule. For more vigour and more pleasure.’, ‘For more power, use Saandah Oil.’
- Dr. Batras Positive Health Clinic: Dr. Batras Homeopathic Clinic advertisement claimed that it is ‘Safe, Sure, zero Side Effects’, ‘Dr. Batra's specialization - Treatment for White patches’.
- Parul Homeo Laboratories P Ltd: The advertisement of Heightex Tablets claimed ‘Short people pay attention. For age group upto 25 years’
- Sanjivani Ayurved Ashram advertisement claimed that ‘Spots will reduce and merge with normal skin in 5 to 6 hours of treatment.’, ‘Reduce weight upto 4-5 kg without any side effects by our ayurvedic treatment’.
- Deemark Musli Pro Capsules ‘Visual implies product enhancing sexual pleasure’,
- Dr Nigams Clinics advertisement claimed that one can ‘lose 8 kgs in 30 days, eat & lose weight’, Dr. Nigam is very close to cure baldness’.
- Ambic Ayurved: Nav Purush Powder/Capsules in the print ad claimed that it ‘helps in physical development of thin and skinny boys and girls’, ‘helps to increase hunger, weight and height’, ‘helps in making muscles and producing new blood in the body’ , ‘helpful in avoiding weakness and fatigue and makes smart’, ‘100% ayurvedic effective’.
- Dr Paresh Patel Remedies advertisement claimed that it gives ‘first success through natural medicine’, ‘no need for heart surgery’, ‘heart blockage can be treated’.
- S M Dawakhana advertisement claimed ‘successful treatment by experienced doctors’, ‘successful treatment of all diseases related to penis like length - thickness, crookedness, weakness and premature ejaculation’.
- Balprada Ayurved Chikitsa & Anusan Kendra advertisement claimed that it gives a ‘successful treatment of diseases like Kidney failure, Liver failure, Cancer, Slip disk and other diseases through self-made medicines’.
- Dr Ayurveda Power Prash advertisement showed question and answers that are implying that the product is meant to enhance sexual pleasure.
- Diatech Diabetes Care Centre: Their advertisement claimed that it is ‘100% Natural & Herbals’, ‘Renews beta cells and makes insulin to flow’, ‘Equals the quantity of sugar in blood and avoids kidney failure by protecting it’, ‘it stops heart attack by filling the blocks of nerves’, ‘permanent freedom from insulin injection’, ‘avoids burning sensation in legs by correcting the nervous weakness’, ‘heals the wounds which have not healed for long time’, ‘will get active and get rid of tiredness’, ‘can get permanent relief from all types of consequences affected by Diabetes’.
- Mcranium Healthcare: In their advertisement Drink Care claimed that it helps ‘reduce blood sugar, adds year to your life’, ‘famous doctor has proven that diabetes is curable’, ‘after having this medicine, patients do not need to take any allopathic medicine’.
- Kunnath Pharmaceuticals: Musli Power X-Tra in the TVC showed the product advertised has special miraculous qualities to cure ailments and improve one’s life and give results in specified time.
- Shree Maruti Herbal: Stay-On Cap & Oil Claims to enhance sexual pleasure.’
- Dabur India Ltd in their advertisement claimed that Fem Turmeric Herbal Bleach is ‘ammonia free and mild bleach’.
- Johnson & Johnson Ltd: Johnson’s Baby Natural Massaging Oil in their advertisement claimed that it helps with ‘47% more weight gain’.
- Marico Ltd: Parachute Advansed Tender Coconut Hair Oil claimed that the ‘Oil is extracted from tender coconut’.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd: Vaseline Healthy White Lotion advertisement claimed that ‘4 out of 5 Indian women use Vaseline Healthy White because it makes their skin fair instantly’, ‘it has minerals that make the skin 4 times fairer instantly’.
- Naaz India Company: Naaz Range of Products claimed that ‘Naaz Sugar Cut Granule is Ultimate formula for sugar patients’. After using Naaz Sugar Cut Granule for 2-3 months, the wounds which do not get healed because of sugar start getting healed. Frequent urination, feeling thirsty, numbness of hands-legs, pains in legs itching in the body, physical weakness can also be cured by the use of Naaz Sugar Cut Granules’. ‘ Another product from the company, ‘Faraata gold capsule and oil claims that it ‘gives complete pleasure in sex, stamina, time and size’
- Shree Baidyanath Ayur Bhawan: Baidyanath Shankh Pushpi advertisement claimed that it ‘makes the brain function fast.
- Kadyan Overseas: Night Riders Afgani Nuskha ‘for premature ejaculations, nightfall, semen’.
- Eli Pharmaceuticals: Eli Melas Range of Products’ advertisement claimed that ‘Eli-Glow Capsule is ‘effective in bringing glow on your face, removes black spots and also does not allow them to appear again.’
- Brucke Pharma: Kesh E Azam Hair Oil advertisement claimed that it ‘helps to get rid of hairfall, forever.’
- UNSP-Hair Care Range: Kesh Pari Oil Capsule & Hair Wash claims cure for baldness’.
- Cosmetic Surgery Clinic: The advertisement claimed that they have cured 1100 cases of Liposuction.’ The surgery ‘removes fat permanently in 3 hours only.
- IPSA Labs: The advertisement of Eraser Ayurvedic Skin Cream claimed that it is ‘100% ayurvedic formula’, ‘reduces dark circles’, ‘removes burn marks’, ‘removes injury marks and stitch marks’.
- Bhagwati Obesity Clinic: Their advertisement claimed that they help ‘reduce weight with 100% guarantee’, ‘6 to 8 kg in just 1 month’, ‘hips stomach 4 to 6 inch without any side effect.’
- Indian Society of Aesthetic Medicine and Surgery: Their advertisement claimed that they do ‘spot liposuction & you can get flat tummy in 4 Hrs’, ‘arm & thigh tuck spot Liposuction can also be done here.’
- Ganga Ayurvedic Centre: Their advertisement claimed that ‘Alcoholic can quit alcohol without his knowledge by mixing our ayurvedic medicine in his food.’
- G.S.L. TRUST Cancer Hospital & Research Centre: On their website they mention Dr. S Acharya’s name. He has already left the hospital on 31/05/2011. The doctor wants his profile in GSL trust to be deleted immediately.
- Vijay Oil Mills: Vera Mustard Oil advertisement claimed that it ‘reduces heart disease’, ‘reduces bad cholesterol’ & ensures a ‘better immune system.’
- Kunnath Pharmaceuticals: Musli Power Extra’s advertisement claimed that it has ‘attained numerous national and international accolades.’
- Diet & Fit: Their advertisement claimed that ‘you can see your weight reduce in 3 days’, ‘no side effects’, ‘reduce upto 10 Kgs in 1 month’.
- Gillette India Ltd: The Oral B Toothpaste in its communication through its voice over states that Oral B is the only toothpaste having “Unbeatable All-Around Protection” in the following areas: Strong Teeth, Breath, whitening, Gum Health, Plaque, Sensitivity, Enamel and Tartar.
- Shree Siyaram Ayurved Mandir: Their advertisement claimed that they can help cure ‘sex problems’.
- Ayusya Herbal Clinic: Claims cure/treatment for sexual problems. Also cure for ‘Piles, Fistula, Fissure - herbal Treatment, Instant Cure. Pain, Bleeding and Uneasiness Due To Piles, Fistula and Fissure.
- Sanjivani Ayurved Ashram: Claims cure for ‘Sex problems, premature ejaculation, impotency, infertility.
- Dr Jyoti Super Speciality Homeopathy Clinic fertility treatment gives chances of success 90%’.
- Goodricke: Goodricke Barnesbeg Green tea claims that Green Tea minimizes ‘both signs of ageing and risks of cancer’, ‘Rainforest Alliance Certified’.
The CCC found following claims in print ads by 121 different advertisers were not substantiated violating the ASCI Guidelines for Advertising of Educational Institutions and hence the complaints against the ads were UPHELD:
- Career Line Academy: Their advertisement claimed that it ‘provides degree, PG [PSC, UGC, DEC approved within 4 months’ ‘SSLC, plus 2 within 8 months.’
- Ascent career point Udaipur: Their advertisement claimed that ‘Helpdesk online counseling from the board of technical education’.
- Flyers Welfare Education Institute: Their advertisement claimed that one can ‘Join Airport Technical courses & is ranked No. 1 in country’.
- Dravidian University: Their advertisement falsely claimed that it is ‘UGC recognized’.
Shree Santhoshi Group of Institute, Jetking Infotrain Ltd: Jetking Computer Education, Vivekanand Institute of Hotel & Tour Management, RMT Group Education Charitable Trust: Asia Pacific Institute of Management, Institute of Advanced Management: IAM Institute Hotel Management, Institute for Technology & Management: ITM Business School, Indus Institute of Hospitality & Culinary Arts, Indian Institute of Hotel Management, Swa Institute, Apeejay Education Society: Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication, Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary, Net Bits, Inset Computer Education, Godrej & Boyce Mfg Company Ltd: Godrej Refrigerators, Chiripal Charitable Trust: Shanti Business School, Career Launcher, International School of Business & Media- ISBM School of Communication &Media, Veda IIT Pvt Ltd, Sree Bhuvaneswari Education & Charity Trust – Christian Group of Institute, Neesa Education (P) Ltd- Neesa Institute of Management Studies, Omayal Achi College of Nursing, Meghe Group - Sri Chaitanya Institute, RIG Institute of Hospitality & Management, Scott Hotel Management Institute, Nilaya Foundations: ICATS Management Institute, Sri Rajiv Gandhi Polytechnic College, Jan Shikshan Sansthan, Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College, Sri Sukhmani Group of Institute, JK Technosoft, LMD Education &Research Foundation: Quantum Global Campus, Indian Tech Institute, Cavalier India SSB Coaching Campus, Canara Engineering College, Origin Institute of Design, ICFA: Institute of Computerized Financial Accounting Campus, Interface ERP Academy, I Tech, Bharath University, Everest School Of Nursing, Lamika Education & Charity Trust, Madras Institute of Fashion Technology, Sri Nehru Maha Vidyalaya, Indraprasth Nehru Acadmey of Hotel Management, Indira Education & Charitable Trust, ITFT Institute of Technology & Future Management Trends, Chandigarh University, Career Launcher, Mahabharathi Engineering College, Indian Institute of Knowledge Management IIKM, Manav Rachna International University, Imarticus Learning, Mysql Computer Education, I.I.H.M. International Institute of Hotel Management, DIMS Institute of Hotel Management, Career Launcher, Kurinji College of Engineering & Technology, Nase Technology Computer - Nase Technologies Pvt Ltd, Sakthi Mariamman Engineering College, Netaji Subhas Institute of Business Management, Rosary Institute of Culina &Hotel Management, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan- Bhavan Institute of Management Science, Saraswati Trust - Saraswati HR Education & Technical College, Brothers Education Union- Ithaya Jyothi College of Nursing, Sun Institute of Polytechnic, Arulmigu Senthilandavar Polytechnic, ‘Doctors Diagnostic Centre -Doctors Institute of Lab Sciences, D P G Polytechnic, Munimji Training & Placement Academy, Xavier College of Hotel Mgmt, GBH American Hospital- Arihant Nursing Institute, Global Institute of Engineering & Management, Lime Institute, IETT Computer Institute, Trigon Institute for Hospital Association & Paramedical, Sidhartha Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Infant Jesus Polytechnic College, Himachal Institute of Nursing, IGES Institute of Nursing & Health Science, KC Group of Institute, Seacom Institute of Merchant Navy, IISF, HIMCOM Heritage Institute of Management & Communication, CMC Group of Institutes: Coimbatore Marine College, Saviance Technologies Pvt Ltd: Disney Institute, King Educational Institute, Pacific Academy of HR Education & Research University, College Of Events & Media, Madurai Institute of Engg & Technology, Shipra Anand’s Academy for Fashion Careers, Madras Institute of Hotel Management & Catering, Aishwarya College, The Lords Universal College of Education, Excel Network Technologies, Pride Heritage Technology, Bharati Vidyapeeth- College of Hotel & Tourism Management, Amritsar Film Academy, Eeuro Maritime Academy, Swami Vivekanand Institute Of Technology, Vallabh Seva Niketan Trust- (Indu Group of Colleges), Institute of Integrated Marketing Communication & Management, Jain Education Society- Kashi Institute of Technology, CCA Cadd, Ramee Hotel Management College, Annai Vailankanni College of Engineering, Rooman Technologies Pvt. Ltd., Gem Institute of Solar Technology, Subham Institute & Technology, Maluk Education Health & Charity Trust: MAM Polytechnic College, Kurinji College of Engineering & Technology, Indraprasth Nehru Academy of Hotel, Shiva Group of Institute, JITM College, St. Michael Education Trust, Challenger Info Tech, EMS Academy of Journalism, Karnatak Lingayat Education Society: Institute of Fashion Technology & Apparel Design, AJK College of Arts & Science, Smt. Kaushalaya Devi Memorial Education & Charity: Dr I T Group of Institute, Krupajal Group of Institute: Krupajal Engineering School, Sri Vigneshwar Education Society: International School of Management & Research, Agni College of Technology.
Complaints against advertisements of all the above educational institutes were UPHELD because of unsubstantiated claims that they ‘provide 100% placement/AND/OR they claim to be the No.1 in their respective fields’.
The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in these 3 advertisements and cited in the complaints below were not substantiated. The advertisements contravened Chapter I. of the Code. The complaints were UPHELD:
- Milcent Appliances Pvt Ltd: Their advertisement of Milcent Talky claimed that it is ‘presenting India's No. 1 ultramodern talking domestic Atta chakki.’
- Micromax Ltd: Micromax LED32K316 TVC claimed that one can ‘Sit back, relax and bring alive your entertainment in true 3D on a 32 inch dots LED screen.’
- S S Enterprise: Their advertisement of Rupali Aqua Water Purifier claimed that it is ‘India's No.1 B. Nova Water Purifier’.
Maxx Moblink Private Limited: Maxx Mobiles in their TVC showed unethical and harmful dumping of old electronic gadgets in an open environment. The CCC reviewed the TVC and concluded that the advertisement was in Breach of the law and contravened Chapter III.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Intex Technologies India Ltd: Intex Aqua Mobile TVC shows Farhan Akhtar mountain climbing with the help of a rope. His mobile phone falls in the river below and he cuts off his rope and jumps into the water to save it. He manages to rescue his phone. The CCC concluded that the TVC without justifiable reason shows a dangerous practice. The advertisement contravened Chapter III.3 of the Code. Also, the supers that appeared in the TVC were not legible thus contravening the regulations of ASCI’s minimum lettering size of supers. The complaint was UPHELD.
Reliance Communications Ltd: The advertisement of Reliance Mobile All Share Plan shows that a child found on the temple steps and who is subsequently adopted, is being ridiculed by his own family. The ad is insensitive towards adopted children. The CCC concluded that the TVC derides adoption and shows discrimination. The advertisement contravened Chapter III.1 (a) of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Colgate-Palmolive India Ltd: Colgate Strong Teeth’s claim ‘Colgate is the No. 1 Brand recommended by Dentists’ in their TVC is ambiguous, false and misleading. The claim, ‘Colgate hai to no cavities’ is absolutely false and unsubstantiated. The claim that Colgate is 100% guaranteed in providing anti-cavity protection is absolute, false and misleading. The depiction of the logo of the Indian Dental Association, with respect to the claim is misleading; as it connotes that the IDA endorses the claims in the TVC. The claim of ‘New and Advanced’ is false and misleading as there is no improvement in the formulation of Colgate Strong teeth when compared to the earlier formulation. This complaint was UPHELD as the advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and I.4 of the Code.
Nissan Motors India: Nissan Sunny XL Diesel in their TVC claimed that ‘fuel economy of 21. KMP in the diesel version of the NISSAN SUNNY XL’. In the absence of comments from the Advertiser, the CCC concluded that the claim, “fuel economy of 21 KMP”, was not substantiated. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Nissan Motors India: Nissan Sunny XV Diesel in the print ad showed a diesel car but mentioned the price of a petrol car. This is definitely an attempt to mislead the consumer. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
FOOD & BEVERAGES
The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in these three advertisements were not substantiated. The advertisements contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaints were UPHELD.
- Gujarat Co-operative Milk Federation Ltd: The advertisement of Amul chocolates claimed that ‘Eat milk with every meal’, ‘Chocolate is rich in antioxidants’, ‘Antioxidants reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease’, ‘Eat milk with every meal and live fearless’.
- Heinz India P.Ltd: The supers in the Complan TVC were not clearly legible thus contravening the regulations of ASCI’s minimum lettering size of supers.
- Capital Foods Limited: Ching’s Secret advertisement claimed Chings being ‘Mumbai ka No.1 Chinese soup’.
- Amrapali Biotech India Pvt Ltd: The advertisement of Amrapali Mums Corn Flakes claimed that ‘Minds on with goodness of brahmi’. Pack visual claims – ‘Natural herbs for memory plus, Memory enhancer’
The CCC concluded that the 4 advertisements mentioned below are indirect advertising for products whose advertising is prohibited or restricted by law (Surrogate advertisements for liquor brands). The advertisements contravened Chapter III.6 of the Code. The complaints were UPHELD.
- Pernod Ricard India P. Ltd.: The advertisement of Seagram Royal Stag Music Cds / Royal Stag Barrel Select shows ‘Abhi Shah Rukh bannabaki hai and Abhi Saif banna baki hai ‘states an alcohol brand name ‘Royal Stag Barrel Select’, which is a whisky brand.’
- Pernod Ricard India P. Ltd: Seagram Blenders Pride Magical Nights advertisement shows a neo hoarding displaying the logo unit.
- United Spirits Ltd: White Mischief Beach Wear & Accessories advertisement appears to be a surrogate ad for a liquor product – White Mischief Vodka.
- Carlsberg India Private Limited (Turborg): The TVC shows a Tuborg beer bottle and logo.
The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the following 9 advertisements and cited in the complaints below were not substantiated. The advertisements contravened Chapter I of the Code. The complaints were UPHELD:
- Telemart Shopping Network Pvt. Ltd: Meta Slim in the TVC claimed that one can ‘lose weight with meta slim’.
- GTM Teleshopping P. Ltd.: Easy Slim Tea advertisement claimed that one can ‘have Easy Slim Tea and lose weight, no need to exercise, no need to eat healthy’, ‘lose weight become healthy’, ‘prevent extra marital affairs’.
- 3. Telemart Shopping Network Pvt. Ltd: The TVC claimed that ‘Stop hair fall in one week’, ‘new hair growth starts in 8 weeks’, ‘Certificate of excellence from International Institute of Trichology - Geneva Switzerland’.
- Quick Telemall Marketing Pvt. Ltd:. Shubh Dhan Varsha in the TVC claimed ‘By establishing the kit you will start earning more and more money’, ‘all your financial problems would be solved’, ‘the product has some sort of Divya Shakti’.
- GTM Teleshopping P. Ltd.: Full Stop Anti Addiction Powder in the TVC showed the product advertised has special miraculous qualities to cure ailments and improve one’s life and give results in specified time.
- Diet & Fit: In the TVC showed the product advertised has special miraculous qualities to cure ailments and improve one’s life and give results in specified time.
- Tele Trade Shopping: Amritras in the TVC showed the product advertised has special miraculous qualities to cure ailments and improve one’s life and give results in specified time.
- Teleone Consumers Product Pvt. Ltd: Deemark Mass Gainer and Muscle Builder in the TVC showed that the product advertised has special miraculous qualities to cure ailments and improve one’s life and give results in specified time.
- Sogo Telemarketing: Madhunashni in the TVC showed the product advertised has special miraculous qualities to cure ailments and improve one’s life and give results in specified time.
Sogo Telemarketing: Madhur Milap in their TVC show the product advertised has special miraculous qualities to cure ailments and improve one’s life and give results in specified time. The CCC reviewed parts of the TVC and concluded that the claims mentioned in the TVC for Madhur Milap (powder, oil, prash) were not substantiated. Also, the advertisement was in Breach of the law as it violated The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and III.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Telemart Shopping Network Pvt. Ltd: SLIM24 PRO in the TVC claimed ‘reducing weight is possible merely by consuming the liquid to be prepared by dissolving the powder i.e. Slim24pro and even without any exercise and by skipping meals one can reduce weight within 24 hours.’ The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and I.5 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Indya Estates: The advertisement of Greens claimed that ‘2BHK flat for an unbelievable price of Rs. 15.81 lacs. and 300% appreciation’. The claim of of ‘2BHK flat for an unbelievable price of Rs. 15.81 lacs.* and 300% appreciation’, were not substantiated and the Ad was considered to be misleading. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and .4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Alix Retail Pvt. Ltd: Fabfurnish.com internet advertisement claimed that ‘buy bean bags starting Rs. 699’. In the absence of comments from the Advertiser, the CCC concluded that the advertisement was misleading. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
Department for the Welfare of SC/ST/OBC’s/Minorities: In their TVC they showed a Muslim family visiting a Govt. office asking for loan to set up a computer institute. The ad also mentions Rs. 800. The purpose for mentioning Rs.800 is unclear. Was it a bribe to the officer for loan approval or was it borrowed. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
During the month of August, the CCC also received complaints against 25 other advertisements. The complaints were received against the advertisements of La Opala RG Ltd: La Opala Ivory Collection, Kent RO systems Ltd: Kent Ozone Veg & Fruit Purifier, Wrigley India P. Ltd: Boomer Jelly, State Bank of India(Home Loans), Kotak Mahindra Old Mutual Life Insurance Ltd. Kotak Life, Naver (Line Chat), Tata Chemicals Ltd: TATA Sodium Lite Salt, NIIT Limited: NIIT Cloud Campus, Tata Teleservices Ltd: Tata Docomo Network, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd.: Horlicks, Kohler: Moxie Shower Studio, Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd: Amul, DS Group: Ranjnigandha Pan Masala, Mosons: Indulekha Bringha hair oil, Career Launcher, Cadbury India Ltd: Bournvita, Life Slimming & Cosmetic Clinic, Bharti Airtel Ltd, Ashok & Company : Pan Bahar Crystal Pan Masala, Dr Hair care & Slimming Clinic, Royal Dental Clinic, Delhi Police, Rodeo Drive Luxury Products Pvt. Ltd: Celestial collection Lord Venkateswara Watches, Shree Cement: Bangur Cement, Cadbury (India) Ltd: Cadbury Chocolate Silk. However, as these advertisements did not contravene ASCI’s codes or guidelines, the complaints were NOT UPHELD.