The weekend show will go on air from September 6, every Saturday and Sunday, at 8.30 PM. The show is all about daring to take risks and will be hosted by Akshay Kumar
Aahiri Ghosh Dastidar | Delhi | September 4, 2014
One of the most essential things needed to dance is a dance floor. But what if there is no dance floor? Life OK, known for its disruptive content, is launching a dance-based, adventure reality show, ‘Dare to Dance’, which is all about daring to take risks and reinventing oneself – on different platforms, be it land, water or air.
Presented by Micromax and powered by Honda, Dare to Dance will be hosted by Akshay Kumar, who will also mentor the contestants. And the ‘khiladi’ himself will be seen performing some stunts and, not to forget, giving the show a dose of his banter with the contestants. The actor was present in Delhi to launch the first look of the show yesterday.
Unlike most other reality shows where elimination plays a big role, there won’t be eliminations in each and every episode of Dare to Dance.
Ajit Thakur, EVP and GM, Life OK, said, “Life OK has done something different for the first time and we have spent a lot of money on this show. Also, this show has paved the way for increasing our creativity in non-fiction. I can promise our viewers that they have never seen a show like this before.”
On marketing of the show, Thakur informed, “We are doing a lot of things on television and digital media. Also, the participants are going to different towns and malls for outdoor promotions.”
When asked about the choice of Akshay Kumar as host, Thakur said, “Initially we had a couple of people in mind like Akshay and Shahid Kapoor, but Akshay started adding so many new ideas for the show that we decided to go with him. We could not think of anyone better than the superhero of action and dance.”
Shot in South Africa, Dare to Dance will see ten contestants not just putting their extraordinary dancing prowess on display but also fighting their fears. For instance, fear of height and water, among others. The show is choreographed by Sanjay Shetty and his team of professionals while the stunts have been designed by stunt coordinator and performer Francois Grobbelaar, who has earlier worked on a number of Hollywood and Bollywood projects.
The challenge takers:
1. Emille Callion: A professional dancer from Paris, Emille is skilled even in the field of acrobatics, apart from dance. And to describe her in the words of a fellow contestant, ‘she isn’t one of the girls. She has a circus background and she would almost fearlessly jump onto any task and just have fun with it.’ Now that’s Callion for you. It shouldn’t be surprising if she ends up finding herself a space among the top contenders of the show!
2. Scarlett Wilson: A British model model and dancer, Scarlett is trained in jazz ballet, while she’s famous for her item numbers in Hindi and Telegu films. Her item number, Imported Kamariya from Shanghai is still remembered. And just when she had gotten extremely comfortable in her item number space, Dare 2 Dance came her way. Though initially apprehensive, Wilson later saw this show was an opportunity for her to get out of her comfort zone, challenge herself and face her fear of height and water.
3. Sayantani Ghosh: Having won the Miss Calcutta title in 2003, Sayantani paved her way to Bengali films and Hindi television. Known for her shows like Nagin and the recent Mahabharat, Ghosh was also seen in Bigg Boss season six. While her passion for dance is known, one wouldn’t expect her to be on a show like Dare 2 Dance, considering her quiet and sensitive demeanor. But like they say, it’s all about doing something that even you don’t expect yourself to do. So, here’s Ghosh, challenging herself with this show!
4. Alisha Singh -Ranchi girl Alisha Singh’s journey started off with a dance reality show. Having trained under renowned choreographer Terence Lewis, and participating in other shows like Dil Dosti Dance, she thought she’d experimented with all kinds of dancing. Guess she was wrong. For someone like her, who never even jumps on scary rides in an amusement park, a challenging show like Dare 2 Dance, was far from her wish list. A little convincing from her father later, she was on board, and now extremely happy to have taken up something like this which makes her stronger!
5. Kunwar Amar: Hailing from Madhya Pradesh, Kunwar got on board for Dare 2 Dance, after a lot of danced-based shows like Nach Baliye, Dil Dosti Dance among others, only to do something he’s never done before. Daring to dance on various kinds of dance floors and challenging himself with every task was like an attracting factor for Amar, and here he is!
6. Mayuresh Wadkar: Mayuresh had been on a break as a result of injury for three years, after featuring on a dance reality show, except for featuring in Remo D’souza’s ABCD. He just saw Dare 2 Dance as an opportunity to bounce back! In fact, Mayuresh was the only one who was excited minus the fear and apprehensions before taking up the show, since he was known for his areal acts on his previous show.
7. Ritwik Dhanjani: Winner of NachBaliye, television actor Ritwik Dhanjani of Pavitra Rishta fame, has garnered a lot of appreciation for his dancing prowess. He jumped out of excitement when he came to know about the concept of Dare 2 Dance, which was later followed by a doubt since he isn’t a trained professional dancer unlike other contestants. But, for the sake of his passion for dancing along with the aim to get over his apprehensions and inhibitions, Ritwik was soon convinced he had to be a part of a first-of-its kind show like Dare 2 Dance.
8. Sanam Johar: Born and brought up in Delhi, Saman is trained under Fernando Aguilera, by Indian Fernando Ballet Company. Not to forget he was given the tag of ‘Bruce Lee’ on Dance India Dance, by none other than Mithun Chakraborty. With Dare 2 Dance, Sanam wants to re-invent himself, test his strengths, and give his best!
9. Karan Pangali: A trained Kathak dancer originally from UK, Karan was a top contestant on the show Just Dance. While dancing is his love and life, he’s never tried his hand at stunts, and that was the sole reason for him to participate on Dare 2 Dance. In his own words, he loves a challenge and is only proud of himself to participate on a show with a concept like this.
10. Prince: He thought he had done it all in the field of dancing till he heard about Dare 2 Dance. Later, he was stunned at the kind of tasks involved. Not that he had thought he’d ever do something of this thought, but gradually, it all fell into place. Just the thought of trying his hand at something new that is challenging was the alluring factor. He has acrophobia and has somehow managed to conquer that through the show.