The committee headed by Prasar Bharati CEO Shashi Shekhar Vempati to access the existing rating system for TV channels has submitted its report today, I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar told the media.
After the fake TRP scam broke in October 2020, the Ministry had formed a committee on TRP ratings on Nov 4, 2020.
Javadekar said that the ministry will examine the report and further action will be taken. âThe main issue is that there should be more transparency in TRP and base must be expanded to rule out the chances of manipulation, he said.
âThe report will be discussed and given to BARC India,â Javadekar added.
Other members on the committee were Dr Shalabh, Professor of Statistics, IIT Kanpur; Dr Rajkumar Upadhyay, Executive Director, C-DOT; and Professor Pulak Ghosh, Decision Sciences Center for Public Policy (CPP).
The KRA of the committee was to:
- Study past recommendations made by various forums on the subject of television rating systems in India and matter incidental thereto.
- Study recent recommendations of TRAI on the subject
- Suggest steps for enhancing competition in the sector
- Review of the presently notified guidelines to see if the intended purpose(s) of issuing the guidelines have stood the test of time and has met needs of various stakeholders involved. The lacunae, if any, shall be specially addressed by the committee
- Any issues related or incidental to the subject
- To make recommendations on way forward for robust, transparent and accountable rating system in India, and
- Any other related issues assigned by MIB from time to time