ASCIÂ upholds complaintsÂ againstÂ 40Â ads inÂ April
Processes for the first time ever a complaint against SMS ad. Health & Personal Care and Education were theÂ mainÂ categories that continued to make misleading claims
BestMediaInfo Bureau | Delhi | June 25, 2013
InÂ AprilÂ 2013, ASCIâs Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) upheldÂ complaints against 40Â advertisements. Health & Personal Care and Education were theÂ mainÂ categories that continued to make misleading claims andÂ come under the scanner ofÂ the CCC.Â Health & Personal Care sector leads with a whoppingÂ 52 per cent (148Â out of 287) complaint upheldÂ in the first four months of 2013.
ASCI is proactivelyÂ strengthening its awareness to coverÂ ads in everyÂ media form.Â One such step was taken in April this year when, for the first time,Â itÂ received andÂ upheld a complaint againstÂ an SMS ad sent out byÂ HardcastleÂ Restaurants forÂ McDonaldâs.
Health &Â Personal Care:
TheÂ CCC found the following claims inÂ Health & Personal Care product or service adsÂ released in (newspapers) the pressÂ to beÂ either misleading or false orÂ not adequately/scientificallyÂ substantiated and henceÂ violatedÂ Chapter IÂ of the ASCI Code.Â Some of theÂ Healthcare products or services ads alsoÂ contravened the provisions of the Drug & Magic Remedies Act. Complaints againstÂ theÂ followingÂ adsÂ thereforeÂ wereÂ UPHELD:
- NaazÂ India Company:Â NaazÂ Fat Cut GranualsÂ in their advertisement claimed that they are aÂ ânew invention regarding obesityâ,Â âresult of 10 years of hard work of doctorsâ,Â âno side effects on bodyâ, âbody does not become over weight orÂ underweightâ,Â âskin becomes tighter, youthful, beautiful &doesnâtÂ loosenÂ againâ,Â âstomach becomes flat for sureâ,Â âgovernment recognized medicineâ,Â âexpert doctors ofÂ NaazÂ India health care company have madeÂ NaazÂ cut granules for complete fat reduction & it is approved by Government Ayurveda department of Indiaâ.
- SagarÂ DispensaryâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ âDr. S.A. Ali is an expert in STDâ. âTreats patients with problems like less sperms, impotence & provides complete andÂ permanentÂ cureâ, âourÂ successful treatmentÂ has cured lakhs of disheartened patients and given them new lifeâ.
- AnantÂ ClinicâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that itÂ âprovidesÂ successful cure of male infertilityâ,Â âinternal weaknessâ,Â âpremature ejaculation erectile dysfunctionâ,Â âchildlessnessâ,Â âskin diseaseâ,Â âpsoriasis and tumourÂ in breastâ.
- GM Pharmacy:Â SadabaharÂ SugarÂ FreeâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ âSadabaharÂ sugar freeÂ is a diabetesÂ killer powderâ, âmost effective medicine in diabetesâ.
- Nature Green Herbal CareâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that, âit increasesÂ time of your sexual activitiesâ, âmade with miraculousÂ desiÂ herbsâ, â100% result, and no side effectâ.
- Herbal Icon India:Â TrugesicâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that itÂ âhelps toÂ getÂ rid of kidney stones in just 9 day courseâ,Â âmagicalÂ ayurvedicÂ medicineâ.
- AlshifaÂ ChurnaâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that itÂ gives âresult in 10 days of extra fatÂ reduction on stomachâ, âgets you relief from constipation, sugar, high blood pressure, gas, acidity andÂ piles without operationâ.
- Sarkar DispensaryâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that itÂ âis the BestÂ AyurvedicÂ clinic of 2011â
- NCP Herbal:Â SovolinÂ AyurvedicâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ it âgives soft, smooth and silky skin with the touch ofÂ SovolinÂ which other cannot giveâ.
- IPSA LabsÂ PvtÂ Ltd.:Â EraserÂ AyurvedicÂ Skin CreamâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that itÂ âis a mixture of 8 essential herbs which removers every kind of spots from your face and skinâ.
- MusliÂ SakthiÂ HerbalsÂ PvtÂ Ltd.:Â MusliÂ SakthiâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ thereâsÂ âno need ofÂ Viagra nowâ,Â âfirst time in the worldÂ MusliÂ SakthiÂ in silverÂ colourÂ powder formâ.Â âComplete result within 7 daysâ,Â âhappiness in sexÂ and immediate solution for the sex problemsâ.
- GogajiÂ Hair & Skin Care Centre:Â GogajiÂ Hair OilâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that âGogajiÂ Hair Oil stops baldness, stops hair fall.â
- Stammering Cure CentreÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ theÂ centre âParthaÂ BagchiÂ (worldÂ leader in stammering cure since 22 years) cures stammering in 12 days.â
- R K Herbals PharmacyâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ âthis formula is 400 years old and has been used by theÂ NawabsÂ and the Maharajahs to enhance their sexual life.âÂ âIt improves vitality, increases volume and quality of semen, helps in treating erectile dysfunction.â
- Raj PowerÂ CapsulesâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ ârelief to sex weakness in males within 2 hoursâ, , ânervous weaknessâ, âquick disposal of spermsâ, âinability to enjoy long time sexâ, âsex effects due to diabetes to cure all these problemâ.
- KPRÂ HerbalsâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ âSex weakness in men and all sex related diseases can be cured by Power Boosterâ, ânot interested in sexâ, âcouldn't achieve complete satisfaction in sexâ, âeroticÂ problemsâ, âfast disposal ofÂ Â semen while on sexâ, âcouldn't satisfy sexually your mateâ, âweakness of sperms all these can be cured through our herbal medicine treatmentâ.
- Lotus Granges (India) Ltd:Â Scent Soft BioâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ âitÂ is made to eliminate objectionableÂ odourÂ with helpful microbes, which digest bad smellâ.
- NaazÂ India Company:Â NaazÂ HairÂ UpÂ OilâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that it âstops hair fallâ, âprovides successful cure of baldnessâ.
- KambojÂ FoodsÂ PvtÂ Ltd:Â KambojÂ Proper DietâsÂ print advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ âBenefits ofÂ Kamboj Proper Diet 100% Natural QPMÂ grain are that, itÂ helps you rid of obesity and weakness, increases IQ and immunity power, makes your married life happy, keeps IT professionals away from stress.â
TheÂ CCC found following claims in print ads by 12Â differentÂ advertisersÂ were not substantiated violating the ASCI Guidelines for Advertising of EducationalÂ InstitutionsÂ and hence the complaints against the ads wereÂ UPHELD:
- LakhaniÂ AcademyÂ advertisement claimed that âLakhaniÂ Academy will give 100% fees refund, if students fail in IPCC/CPT.â
- Indian Institute of Learning & Advanced DevelopmentâsÂ advertisements claimedÂ â100% assured placementâ, âearn backÂ uptoÂ 100% of course feeâ.
- MaharishiÂ BasantÂ TutorialsÂ in its advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ âguaranteed success program for IIT-Jee,Â else 100% feeÂ refundsâ.
- AlchemistâsÂ advertisementÂ claimedÂ thatÂ âitÂ has more than 22 students in 99 percentile and 78 students in 95 percentileâ.
- MukilsÂ English AcademyâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that it âprovidesÂ 100% job guarantee on all coursesâ.
- ITâS THE Education Group,Â SaiÂ NationalÂ Intuition of Technology (SNIT)âÂ &Â Tulip Indiaâs advertisement claimedÂ that they âprovideÂ 100% placementâ.
- FastrackÂ Institute of TechnologyâsÂ advertisementÂ claimed, â100% Job GuaranteeâÂ &Â â100% Course Completion Guaranteeâ.
- SwamiÂ VivekanandÂ Institute of TechnologyâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ it âprovidesÂ 200% placement.â Â
- SaffronÂ EduworldÂ PvtÂ Ltd:Â SaffronÂ EduworldÂ CoachingâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ âJEE 100% guaranteed result or money back.â
- INPTCÂ advertisementsÂ claimedÂ â100% placementâ &Â âINPTC-
- Mahatma Tutorials:Â The advertisement claimedÂ thatÂ Mahesh TutorialsÂ âprovides 100% success guaranteeâ.
- Subhash BoseÂ Institute of Hotel Management:Â The advertisementÂ claimedÂ thatÂ â273 out of 273 students were placed in 2012â by the institute.
- Amity University:Â In the âMBA 2013 Admission Noticeâ print advertisement, the Amity University is showing its rankings given by âBusiness Todayâ and âThe Economic Timesâ without providing the details of the years of rankingÂ which is misleading.
Ganesh Wheat ProductÂ PvtÂ Ltd:Â Ganesh AttaâsÂ print advertisementÂ claimed that they areÂ âprocessed through reverse osmosis, GaneshÂ bajraÂ Atta and GaneshÂ MakkaiÂ Atta,Â prevent several health hazards and give you more nutritious and deliciousÂ rotisÂ every day,Â BajraÂ (pearl millet) andÂ MakaiÂ (Maize) are processed through water purified byÂ reverse osmosis which makes theÂ rotisÂ more wholesomeâ.Â TheseÂ claims needÂ to be substantiated.Â In the absence of comments from theÂ advertiser, theÂ CCC concludedÂ that the claims mentioned in the advertisement were not substantiated. Â The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. Â Â The complaint wasÂ UPHELD.
Aqua Corporation:Â AquaÂ PureÂ Guard Water PurifierâsÂ print advertisement claimedÂ that itÂ is âWorld's No.1 water purifierâ. This claimÂ needs to be substantiated.Â In the absence of comparative data from the Advertiser, the CCCÂ concluded that the claim, âWorld'sÂ No.1 water purifierâ,Â was not substantiated. Â The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. Â The complaint wasÂ UPHELD.
HardcastleÂ Restaurants Pvt.Â Ltd: -Â McDonaldâsÂ promotional SMS showsÂ âMcVeggieÂ orÂ McChickenÂ FREE on order ofÂ Rs. 200/-Â above with McDonalds. Mention coupon code MCD07 while ordering, valid till 7/1/13. Call NowÂ 66000666. T & C.â TheÂ complainantÂ wasÂ at the McDonald counter at the FoodÂ Court,Â InorbitÂ Mall,Â Malad(West) on 6/1/2013 Â and was informed thatÂ this SMS was sent purely for home delivery ONLY.
According to the complaint, (The) the SMS advertisementÂ that McDonaldsÂ sent was totally misleading. It simply said âcall nowâ and not that it applies only for âHome Deliveryâ.Â The CCC concluded that theÂ advertisementÂ -Â SMS wasÂ misleading by omission,Â as it did not mention that the offer of a freeÂ McVeggieÂ orÂ McChicken applies only to Home Delivery. TheÂ advertisement - SMSÂ contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code. Â The complaint wasÂ UPHELD.
PernodÂ RicardÂ India P. Ltd:Â Jacobâs Creek, the print advertisementÂ is aÂ promotion of a liquor brand. Â Advertising of liquor is prohibited is prohibited by most States.Â The CCC concluded that the communication was an Advertorial pertaining to a Surrogate product. The complaint wasÂ UPHELDÂ as it contravened the Brand Extension Guidelines as mentioned in Chapter III.6 of the Code.
Dr. Nigamâs HealthÂ PvtÂ Ltd.:Â Dr. Nigam Hair MultiplicationâsÂ âDr. Nigamâ has been tarnishing the brand of RichFeelÂ and maligning it in theirÂ ads. The brand has also been deliberately usingÂ RichFeelâsÂ brand template colourÂ and a misrepresented brand look alike logo (RichFeelâsÂ logo has two Eâs, one of which is a mirror image of the other) as well, besides picking up scientifically proven points pertinent toÂ RichFeelÂ in their communication and negatively portraying the brand.Â The CCCÂ concluded that theÂ advertiser has made unjustifiable use of the name ofÂ RichfeelÂ and taken unfair advantage of the goodwill attached to its trade mark and goodwillÂ acquired by its advertising campaign. The advertisement contravened Chapter IV.2 of the Code. Â The complaint wasÂ UPHELD.
AkanshaÂ Hair & Skin Care Herbal UnitÂ PvtÂ Ltd:Â AkanshaÂ SukhparashâsÂ advertisement claimedÂ that itâmakes your face fair andÂ removes wrinkles from your faceâ.Â After reviewing the advertisement and advertiserâs response, theÂ CCC concludedÂ that the claim, âmakes your face fairâ, was not substantiated. Â The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. Â This complaint wasÂ UPHELD.Â After reviewing the advertisement, the CCC realized thatÂ theÂ ad does not claim to remove wrinkles from face, this complaint wasÂ NOT UPHELD.
During the month of April, the CCC also received complaints against 11 other advertisements. The complaints were received against the advertisements ofÂ Aviva Life Insurance Company India Ltd,Â Euro Fashion Inners International (P) LtdÂ - Euro Briefs,Â Great Eastern Management SchoolÂ - GEMS B School,Â Hindustan Unilever LtdÂ -Â Comfort 1 Rinse Fabric Conditioner,Â Keya SethâsÂ AyurvedicÂ SolutionÂ - Keya Sethâs Umbrella Sunscreen Lotion, Â KaleesuwariÂ RefineryÂ PvtÂ LtdÂ - Gold Winner Sunflower Oil,Â MankindÂ PharmaÂ LtdÂ -ManforceÂ Condom,Â McNROEÂ Consumer Products P. LtdÂ - Wild Stone Deodorant,Â PiaggioÂ VehiclesÂ PvtÂ Ltdâ Vespa,Â Times Business Solutions LtdÂ - Magicbricks.com,Â United Spirits LtdÂ â Kingfisher. However, as these advertisements did not contravene ASCIâs codes or guidelines, the complaints wereÂ NOT UPHELD.