Highest ever complaints upheld by ASCI in January 2013
In January 2013, complaints against 99 out of 108 advertisements were upheld. NAMS has enhanced the reach of ASCI by tracking a wider number of misleading ads
BestMediaInfo Bureau | Delhi | March 29, 2013
In January 2013, the Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) of ASCI upheld the highest ever number of complaints â€“ 99 out of 108 advertisements. ASCIâ€™sÂ NationalÂ Advertising Monitoring Service (NAMS) yet again has proved to be very proficient in tracking down the misleading claims made in ads in various sectors.
The NAMS initiative has helped in strengthening the self-regulation and redressal process manifold. The proactive monitoring has helped in tracking a wider numbers of misleading ads month on month. This is a positive development as it is helping to protect consumerâ€™s interest in India.
- BAJAJ ELECTRICAL LIMITEDâ€™s Bajaj Water Heater print advertisement made claims like Â â€śYou no longer need to kill time waiting for hot waterâ€ť,Â â€śThis gives50% more energy savingâ€ť,Â â€śBring home India's no.1 water heater todayâ€ť. The advertiser has substantiated the claim of being â€śIndiaâ€™s No.1 water heaterâ€ť in terms of sales. Complaint against this claim was NOT UPHELD.Whilst water can be heated quickly by water boilers, the same is not true for water heaters.Â The claim that, â€śYou long need to kill time waiting for hot waterâ€ť, was thus considered misleading. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code.Â The complaint wasUPHELD.Â Â
- Complaints againstthe following claims made in print advertisements by nine different advertisers wereupheld by CCC:
- WHIRLPOOL OF INDIA LIMITEDâ€™s Whirlpool Neo 1 Chill claimed that â€śgives 40% faster coolingâ€ť.
- CATA APPLIANCES claims that it â€śprovides 98% assured returnâ€ť.
- POWERCONE SYSTEMS PVTÂ Â LTDâ€™sPowercone Ups/Inverterclaimed receiving theâ€śBest brand award winnerâ€ť.
- ELICA PB INDIA PVT LTDâ€™s Elica Home Appliances claimed being â€śthe World's No.1 chimney companyâ€ť.
- SRK ENTERPRISESâ€™s Inphynyt Battery claimed being â€śIndiaâ€™s 1st Nonstop Warranty Batteryâ€ť.
- AJORIA APPLIANCES P.Â LTDâ€™s Kutchina Vogue Auto Clean Chimney claimed that â€śit is India's first Auto Clean Chimneyâ€ť;Â Â â€śit absorbs moreâ€ť and â€śdoes not make noiseâ€ť.
- NATARAJ ELECTRICALâ€™s Legrand claimed being â€śthe largest electronic kingdomâ€ť.
- SHRI BALAJI KITCHEN CONCEPTâ€™sFaber Range claimed being â€śIndia's No.1 kitchen chimneysâ€ť and have â€śBaffle Triple Advantageâ€ť.
- NATARAJ ATTA CHAKKIâ€™s NatrajAatamakerclaims being â€śNo.1 domestic flour mill brandâ€ť, being the â€śISO 9001:2008 Companyâ€ť, â€śthe only Indian kitchen appliance which has revolutionized over a period of timeâ€ť.
All aboveclaims made in their print advertisements needed to be substantiated with necessary support data, market research and analysis/data. The CCC concluded that in the absence of comparative data, the claims mentioned in the advertisements and cited in the complaints were inadequately substantiated.Â The advertisements contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code.Â These complaints were UPHELD.
Food & Beverages:
- RUCHI SOYA INDUSTRIES LTDâ€™s Nutrela Table Spreadâ€™s hoarding has headline, "ZyaadaLagao, BindaasKhao". The advertisement also shows â€śa picture of a child eating Nutrela Spreadâ€ť. This advertisement violates the ASCI Code's Food & Beverage guidelines for advertisements directed to children. Ads should not show over consumption, and in fact,Â should reflect moderation in consumption.Â The headline unambiguously promotes over consumption with use of words "bindaaskhao" and "zyaadalagao" & over consumption of any food is not healthy. The product may be cholesterol free but may not be 100% fat free and surely does not have zero calories.Â The CCC concluded that the headline, â€śZyaadalagao, BindaasKhaoâ€ť does not reflect the need to show moderation in food consumption and thus violates Clause 4 of the guidelines on Advertising of Food & Beverages of the ASCI code. The complaint was UPHELD.
- The following claims made in their advertisements by two different advertisers were upheld by CCC:
- RADIKAL OVERSEAS PVTÂ Â LIMITEDâ€™s Radikal Premium Basmati Rice claimed being â€ślow in fat and healthy in carbohydrates because of which there is no need to exerciseâ€ť in their TVC.
- GULAB OILS & FOODS PVT LTDâ€™sGulab Oil claimed that it is â€śNo.1 in Gujaratâ€ť in their print advertisement.
In the case of Radikal Overseas ad, the CCC concluded that the statement that â€śthere is no need to exercise if one consumes the productâ€ť does not encourage appropriate physical activity and is in contravention of the Guidelines on Advertising of Food & Beverages. The complaint was UPHELD. In the absence of comments from Gulab Oils and Foods, the CCC concluded that the claim â€śNo.1 in Gujaratâ€ť was not substantiated. The complaint was UPHELD.
- STAR INDIA LIMITEDâ€™s Star Cricket TVC shows â€śa boy with cricket bat jumping over a creek and his face changing to ChestshwarPujara'sâ€ť. The advertisement is trying to communicate that children who take risks turn into top cricketers. The element of risk is clearly visible when other children are shown astonished to see the feat of the boy jumping the creek. This scene clearly violates the ASCI Code.Â Also the shown jump seems morphed which accentuates the risk as normal child cannot jump such a broad creek.
The CCC concluded that the boy jumping over small creek shows a dangerous practice and manifests a disregard for safety without justifiable reason. The TVC contravened Chapter III.3 of the ASCI Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
- BENNETT, COLEMAN & COMPANY LIMITEDâ€™s ET NOW has a print advertisement that shows a comparison of viewership of some English Business News Channels in a stated target audience group and market.Â The primary objection is that the source of the data is not mentioned.Â Assuming that the source is TAM, the market share numbers stated in the graph are incorrect.Â The visual has pictures of people who are Engineers, Doctors, Entrepreneurs & Corporates whereas the TG stated for the graph is males, 25-44, Sec A whichÂ would include these professionals, students and non-working individuals as well. The CCC concluded that the source of the data substantiating the claim was not mentioned in the advertisement and the manner in which the comparative data was presented was misleading as the base level was not mentioned. The advertisement was misleading and contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
- The following ads were upheld by CCC for making the same claim:
- TATA HOUSING DEVELOPMENT CO LTD La Montanaâ€™s, leaflet clearly mentions that it is strategically located near Pune in the lush green landscape of Talegaon.
- WINSOME REALTY & INFRASTRUCTURE REDEFINE HOUSINGâ€™s Orchid City print hoardings state similar claims like the project site in in Talegaon.
- MAS CREATIONSNaturaâ€™sprint hoardings state similar claims like the project site in in Talegaon.
Factually and geographically, the project sites of all three come under Vadgaon city.Â By showing the project site in Talegaon instead of Vadgaon, they are trying to earn more money as the rate is very high in Talegaon from that of Vadgaon. The CCC concluded that as the sites were in Vadgaon and not Talegaon, mentioning the site name as Talegaon was misleading. The advertisement hoardings contravened Chapter 1.4 of the ASCI Code.Â The complaints wereUPHELD.
- SHRI CHAITANYA COLLEGE OF NURSING & PARAMEDICAL SCIENCE â€śgives100% Job Guaranteeâ€ť â€śis recognized by Indian Nursing Council New Delhi, State Nursing Council Bhopal, MP ShashanChikitsaShikshaVibhag, Paramedical Council Bhopalâ€ť. Since the Ad did not specify the present year in which the guarantee of job placement can be given, the CCC concluded that the advertisement was misleading.Â The advertisement contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
- The following claims made in their advertisements by 21 different advertisers were upheld by CCC:
- EMDI INSTITUTE OF MEDIA & COMMUNICATION claimed being the â€śBest Business Communication School of the Year 2011- 2012â€ť& gives â€śGuaranteed Internshipsâ€ť.
- PINNACLE ACADEMY OF FASHION & MANAGEMENT claimed being â€śHimachal's best fashion technology instituteâ€ť and giving you â€śguarantee of better future and better jobâ€ť.
- CADD ENGINEERprint advertisement claims that itâ€śIndia's No.1â€ť, â€śRun under government recognized and registered Education Societyâ€ť.
- BUDDHA/ BHABHA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY claimed that it â€śprovides 100 % assured placement in companies of National & International reputeâ€ť.
- INSTITUTE OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT & CATERING TECHNOLOGY print advertisement claimed saying that it â€śIndia's 1st Private Hotel Management Instituteâ€ť.
- PATEL GROUP OF INSTITUTIONS states that it is awarded â€śBest for Best Faculty, Best Result and Excellent Placementâ€ť.
- SRI SAI INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY & SCIENCE â€śprovides 100% placementâ€ť is a misleading claim stated in their print advertisement.
- TAALEEM COLLEGE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES makes tall claims like being â€śIndia's First and only College to have Adoption (Condition Offer) from first month of the enrollment of the course, leading to final placements by same companiesâ€ť & also being â€śIndia's First and Only college to have ONLY International Faculty and Collaborative Learning Space (CLS) along with Face-to-Face platform, providing flexibility in learningâ€ť in their print advertisement.
- TEERTHANKER MAHAVEER UNIVERSITYâ€™s print advertisementclaims that it â€śhas a Golden Record of 100% Placementâ€ť.
- V ETRI JVR-BIM COACHING CENTREâ€™s print advertisement claimed that â€ś100s of our students are in government offices and banksâ€ť.
- THE GEORGE TELEGRAPH GROUPâ€™s George Telegraph Training Instituteâ€™s print advertisement claimed that it gives â€ś100% Job Guaranteeâ€ť.
- The TVC' of DRISHTI MULTIMEDIA & TECHNICAL EDUCATION claims that it â€śprovides 100% Placementâ€ť.
- VIVEKANANDA DEGREE & PG COLLEGEâ€™s TVC says that it â€śIs ranked No.1â€ťinstitute.
- â€śHINDUSTAN MARINE INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIESâ€ť&â€śPRESTIGE INSTITUTE OFÂ MANAGEMENT DEWASâ€ťboth claim to be providing 100% placement assurance in their print advertisements.
- eDRISHYAAÂ ITÂ INDIAÂ PVTÂ LTDâ€™Â Â SAPÂ GatewayÂ toÂ aÂ successfulÂ career claims â€ś100% assured job (Min 4 lakhs per annum)â€ť.
- THE TOURISM SCHOOL TVC â€śgives 100% guarantee of jobâ€ť.These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data, and proof of placements.
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF INTERIOR & FASHION TECHNOLOGY makes a claim that NIIFT â€śprovides 100% placement since its inceptionâ€ť.
- PARADISE POLYTECHNIC COLLEGE claims providing â€ś100% Placement Guaranteed in MNCs for all class students of first and second yearâ€ť.
- CMS COMPUTER EDUCATIONclaims being â€śIndia's No. 1 Job oriented Career Program CCNS V.6â€ť, giving â€śScholarships upto 100%â€ť, claims that M M College (Kasganj) â€śprovides 100% job guarantee in writing on stamp paperâ€ť in their print advertisement.
- IPSR GROUP OF EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONSâ€™sclaims that IPSR Group of Educational Institutions has received â€śBest Institute Award 2012, Management Leadership Award 2012â€ťand gives â€ś100% Job guarantee from our campusâ€ť.These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data, documentation, certification and past records.
- FRANKFINN INSTITUTE OF AIR HOSTESSmakesclaims like â€śPartner with the World's No. 1â€ť, â€śHigh returns in 12-18 monthsâ€ť,Â â€śLow gestation periodâ€ť,Â â€śASSOCHAM, awarded FRANFINNÂ as 'The Best Training Institute' in 2012 & 2011â€ť,Â â€śAll courses accredited by ICM, UKâ€ť,Â â€śLimca book of records certifiedÂ FRANFINN for best cabin crew placementsâ€ťand â€śExclusive strategic training tie up with Jet Airwaysâ€ť.
All these claims made by the advertisers need to be substantiated with necessary support data, documentation and past records.In the absence of comments from the advertiser, the CCC concluded that the claim mentioned in the advertisement and cited in the complaint, was not substantiated. The advertisement contravened ASCI Codeâ€™s Guidelines for Advertising of Educational Institutions and Chapter I.1 of the Code. All above complaints wereUPHELD.
- GILLETTE INDIA LIMITEDâ€™sGillette Guard and Oral B Tooth Brush T.V. commercials are complained about for making misleading claims.Â â€śGillette Guardâ€ť TVC claims, â€śOne blade works for one monthâ€ť & â€śOral B Tooth Brushâ€ť TVC claims â€śHas the support of over ten thousand Dentists across Indiaâ€ť,Â Â â€śOver 1 crore Indians have taken the pledge of Oral B Smile India movementâ€ť.Advertiser needs to provide proof insubstantiation of the claim. The CCC concluded that these claims were not adequately substantiated. The advertisements contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaints wereUPHELD.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER LIMITEDâ€™s Axe Deodorant TVC shows â€śa father from another country comes to visit his son and girlfriend for a dinner party. As the gentleman excuses himself and goes to the bathroom, he finds his son's Axe body spray and helps himself. Upon returning, his son's girlfriend sings the catchy "bomchickawahwah" jingle, dances suggestively and rips his clothes apart. The dad exclaims "I love this country.â€ťThe advertisement is very expletive, sexually suggestive and not suitable for a family audience. The advertisement being broadcast during a live sports broadcast is even more inappropriate. The CCC concluded that the visuals depicted in the advertisement were indecent, which is likely, in the light of generally prevailing standards of decency and propriety, to cause grave or widespread offence. The advertisement contravened Chapter II of the Code.Â The complaint was UPHELD.
- HINDUSTAN UNILEVER LIMITEDâ€™s Pepsodent Toothpaste claims that itÂ â€śhelps in the removal ofÂ 25% more germsâ€ť in their print advertisement.This claim needs to be substantiated with necessary support data, proof & efficacy, safety dataÂ and research data.By virtue of 25% more content being made available to the consumer; the consumer does not automatically get 25% more protection from germs. The CCC concluded that this claim is misleading. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
MARICOÂ Â LIMITEDâ€™s Parachute Ayurvedic Hair Oilâ€™s TV commercial claims that Parachute Ayurvedic Hair Oil â€śstops hair fallâ€ť.This claim needs to be substantiated with scientific evidence for efficacy and other necessary support data. The clinical study shows reduction in hair fall scores for all patients as 97% with the use of the product.Â The CCC concluded that the claim, â€śstops hair fallâ€ť, is not justified and is misleading. The advertisement contravened Chapter I.4 of the Code. The complaint was UPHELD.
MOSONS EXTRACTIONSâ€™ Vayodha Hair Care Oil TV commercial claims that it â€śmakes hair black from the rootsâ€ť. This claim needs to be substantiated with necessary support data, research data along with proof of efficacy. The CCC concluded that the claim, â€śmakes hair black from the rootsâ€ť was not substantiated.Â The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code.Â The complaint was UPHELD.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
SBS BIOTECHUNIT II- KeshKing Hair Care Range & Kesh King Oil print ad as per the complaint, the advertiser claims, â€śCrores of people have used Kesh King and found its resultâ€ť, â€śStops hair fallâ€ť, â€śNo Cosmetic, artificial odorâ€ť, â€śOnly pure oil, with herbs extractsâ€ť, â€śCrores of people have got relief from hair fall, hair breakage, dry and lifeless hairâ€ť,Â â€śTry for 3 weeksâ€ť and â€śBest oil for hair fallâ€ť.These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data, proof & efficacy, safety data and test reports and research data. The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisement and cited in the complaint were inadequately substantiated.Â Â Â Also, the advertisement was in breach of the law as it violated The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and III.4 of the Code.Â The complaint was UPHELD.
- The following claims made in their advertisements by ten different advertisers were upheld by CCC:
- KEYA SETHâ€™SAYURVEDIC SOLUTION (COSMETIC DIVISION) - Tetra Rangeâ€™s T. V. commercial claims â€śpenetrates deep into the skin to give 4 times more fairnessâ€ť.
- VLCC PERSONAL CARE LIMITEDâ€™s Revolutionary Duo Therapy print advertisement claims that it helps you, â€śLose upto 5 cms and half a kg on every visitâ€ť, â€śDuo Therapy uses safe, scientific and latest technology for quick weight loss and figure correction.Â The therapy also helps in tightening, firming and smoothness of the skinâ€ť.
- PANRAM AYURVED PÂ Â LIMITEDâ€™s MuktaChamakâ€™s print advertisement claims that it is the, â€śOnly solution for white teethâ€ť, â€śRemoves stains on teeth caused due to pan, gutka and tobaccoâ€ť, and â€śYou can see the effect in 15 daysâ€ť.
- OLEFIAÂ BIOPHARMA LIMITEDâ€™s Olefia Range Productâ€™s the print advertisement claims thatOlefia Range Product â€śis registered by Govt of Indiaâ€ť,Â â€śSnow White Soap â€“ is helpful in curing spots on face or body, pimples, dark circles, wrinkles, blackness on elbow and knee, sun tan and stretch marksâ€ť.
- MAHESHWARI HAIR CLINIC claims that it â€śStops hair fall with 100% guaranteeâ€ť, â€śGrow hair from its rootsâ€ť, â€śGet the solution in just one meetingâ€ť
- HAIR MANTRAS advertisement claims that itâ€ścan stop your hair fallâ€ť.
- HAIR ROOTS claims that â€śprovides complete Hair Spa First time in Indiaâ€ť.
- RITURAJÂ AYURVEDICÂ GURHÂ UDYOG -RuturajÂ HairÂ Oil / shampoo as per the complaint, the advertiser claims thatÂ Ruturaj Hair Oil/ShampooÂ provides â€ś100% Result Guaranteeâ€ť,Â â€śStops hair fall in 3 daysâ€ť,Â â€śIf hair fall doesn't stop in 3 days then return 25% used bottleâ€ť,Â â€śStops dandruff and split endsâ€ť,Â â€śHair grows by 2 inch in 35 daysâ€ť,Â and â€śIf your hair falls due to heat, it helps in growing new hair on bald head in 35 daysâ€ť.
- JANATHA TRADING COMPANYâ€™s Indulekha Bringha Oil print advertisement claims that â€śBringha, the major medicinal ingredient in Indulekha, brings the follicles from dead stage to the growth phase and that way prevents hair lossâ€ť, â€śStudies prove that the ability of Bringha to enrich hair oils that are applied on hair, Indulekha is meant to be applied on scalpâ€ť, â€śThe base oil in Indulekha is virgin coconut oil prepared with cold process technology.Â Hence it doesnâ€™t lose any of its medicinal attributes and penetrates deep into the scalp resulting in abundant growth of fresh hair strands in proportion with the fallen hairâ€ť.
- YOUTHFUL SECRETS claims that it â€śgives 100% natural hair in just 30 minutesâ€ť.
All these claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data and test reports of efficacy. In the absence of comments from the advertisers, the CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisements and cited in the complaints were not substantiated.Â The advertisements contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code.Â Complaints against these ads were UPHELD.
- The rehabilitation centers, SURYA NEW LIFE CENTRE&OM VYASANMUKTI KENDRA have print advertisements that are making misleading claims. As per the complaint, the Surya New Life Centre â€śhelps tocure you permanently from addiction in 3 days at homeâ€ť &that Om Vyasanmukti Kendra â€śprovides 100% Freedom from habitâ€ť. These claim needs to be substantiated with necessary support data, past records, research data. In the absence of comments from the advertisers, the CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisement and cited in the complaint, were not substantiated. The advertisements contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaints were UPHELD.
- The print advertisements claims that Masolin Breast Care Oil & Tablets are â€śComprising of valuable ancient India proven herbsâ€ť, â€śDevelops and maintains breast shape, size & fitnessâ€ť, â€śBrings skin fairnessâ€ť, â€śReduces stretch marksâ€ť, â€śRemoves cracks in heals & nipplesâ€ť, â€śAfter pregnancy figure maintenanceâ€ť, â€śBefore and after pregnancy herbal Masolin oil helps to maintain figure, reduces stretch marks & lower abdominal pain & helps for better lactation after pregnancyâ€ť, â€śNo side effectsâ€ť. These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data, proof & efficacy, safety data and research data.The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisement and cited in the complaint were inadequately substantiated.Â Â Also, the advertisement was in breach of the law as it violated The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and III.4 of the Code.Â The complaint was UPHELD.Â
- D â€“ Protin from BRITISH BIOLOGICALS claims that it isâ€śA unique formulation that provides the ideal balance of nutrition and taste.Â It also helps in controlling the complications of diabetes in the long run.Â So even though certain foods are still restricted the weakness and fatigue that accompanies this loss of nutrition is totally absentâ€ť in their print advertisement. Diet Mantra claims to be â€śIndia's largest chain of diet & wellness clinicsâ€ť in their print advertisement. Advertiser should provide clinical evidence in substantiation of these claims. In the absence of comments from the advertisers, the CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisements and cited in the complaints, were not substantiated. The advertisements contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaints were UPHELD.
- MEDIKOM HEALTHCARE As per the complaint, the print advertisement claims the following for â€śMedikom Healthcare - Medikom Productsâ€ť - â€śWeakness, Premature Ejaculation etcâ€ť, â€śNo.1 courseâ€ť, â€ś100% guarantee of benefitâ€ť, â€śIncrease length and girth by 1-2 inchesâ€ť. These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data, proof & efficacy, safety data and research data. The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisement and cited in the complaint were inadequately substantiated. Also, the advertisement was in Breach of the law as it contravened The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act. The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and III.4 of the Code.Â The complaint was UPHELD.
- DR.Â C.P.Â GUPTA CLINICâ€™s print advertisement on GuptRog claims that Dr. C P Gupta ClinicÂ â€śgives 100% successful treatment of impotency, early falling, night fall, shorter length and nil spermâ€ť. This claim needs to be substantiated with necessary support data, proof & efficacy, safety data, past records etc. In the absence of comments from theAdvertiser, the CCC concluded that the claim mentioned in the advertisement and cited in the complaint was not substantiated.Â Â Â Also, the advertisement was in breach of the law as it violated The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act.Â The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and III.4 of the Code.Â The complaint was UPHELD.
- MASOLIN HERBAL PVT LTDâ€™s print advertisement on Hitight Oil & Capsules claims that it is â€śMade with priyangu and alfusi and berala herbs and provides power, staminaÂ without any side effectsâ€ť, â€śIt makes sex organs and muscles strongâ€ť.These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data. The CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisement and cited in the complaint were inadequately substantiated. Also, the advertisement was in Breach of the law as it violated The Drugs & Magic Remedies Act.Â The advertisement contravened Chapters I.1 and III.4 of the Code.Â The complaint was UPHELD.
- SHREE DHANWANTRI HERBALâ€™s print advertisement on Overdrive Capsules & Oil claims that it â€śIs equipped with the World's only Successful Formulaâ€ť, â€śContains KaamChudamaniRas, SiddhMakardhwaj, Virsatmannvaati and BasantkusumakarRas with Goldâ€ť. These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data, certification of claim of Worldâ€™s only successful formula. In the absence of comments from the Advertiser, the CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisement and cited in the complaint were not substantiated.Â The advertisement contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code.Â The complaint was UPHELD.
- The following claims made in their advertisements by 21 different advertisers were upheld by CCC:
- SANJEEVANI CLINIC claims that it â€śbreaks and removes stone in just 4 doses without operationâ€ť.
- INNOVATIVE CURE HEALTH & BEAUTYâ€™s print advertisement claims that Innovative Cure Health & Beauty Clinic â€śhelps get rid of Baldness in 2 hours by American filament & frontlessâ€ť, â€śget rid of short statureâ€ť.
- BALJIWAN MEDICINES PVT LTDâ€™s print advertisement claims that Baljiwan Medicines â€śhelps to increase weight and height 2 times fasterâ€ť.
- ANMOL AYUR CLINICâ€™s print advertisement claims that the treatment here â€śshows result in 36 to 72 hours and patient with nil sperm get 90% spermâ€ť.
- BAWA CLINICâ€™sprint advertisement claims that Bawa Clinic â€śprovides successful treatment of early fall, low sperm count, lack of erectionâ€ť.
- JOLLYÂ PHARMAÂ INDIAâ€™s Jolly Fat Goin its print advertisement claims that it Â â€śis effective ayurvedicmedicineâ€ť shows â€śNo side effectsâ€ť there is â€śNo dietingâ€ť,Â â€śIt burns fat cells andÂ transforms it into energyâ€ť,Â â€śAnti Cellulite Oil Prevents You from Wrinklesâ€ť,Â â€śIt Removes After Pregnancy Wrinkleâ€ť,Â â€śEasy Way for Being Slim, Smart and Fitâ€ť,Â â€śTestimonial by Actress PreetiZangianiâ€ť.
- DR.Â RAM NARAYAN SONI BURNT AND PLASTIC SURGERY HOSPITALâ€™s print advertisement for Cosmetic Surgery claims that it â€śRemoves unwanted hair from Legs in 15 minutesâ€ť and â€śRemoves unwanted hair fromÂ Armpit in 5 minutes only - Proven fastest in the industryâ€ť.
- HEALTHÂ SANCTUARYâ€™s print advertisement forÂ C-Lipoclaims that Â it gives â€śPermanent reduction of stubborn fatâ€ť,Â â€śClinically proven with nil side effectsâ€ť,Â â€śWith lakhs of successful treatments to its creditâ€ť,Â â€śWorld's best inch loss treatmentâ€ť,Â â€śIntroducing c-lipo, no pain, no surgeryâ€ť,Â â€śResults are immediateâ€ť,Â â€śLose 4 to 5 cms in just 20 minutes from one areaâ€ť,Â â€śOn spot reductionâ€ť,Â and Â â€śComplete removal of - double chin, facial flab nonsurgical.â€ť
- RELAXX AYURVEDIC HEALTH CENTRâ€™s print advertisement for DF Relaxx Joint Pain Oil claims that DF Relaxx Joint Pain Oil â€śis best herbal oil for joint painâ€ť, â€śGet relief in 20 days and avoids knee operationâ€ť, â€śTreating joint pain, cervical, migraine pain and swelling, paralysis with special herbsâ€ť.
- KADYAN HEALTH & BEAUTY CLINICâ€™s print advertisement for Night Riders AfganiNuskhaclaims that Night Riders AfganiNuskha â€śis Effective from the first doseâ€ť.
- HASHMI HEALTH CAREâ€™s print advertisement for Sikandar-E-Azam Capsules claims that Sikandar-E-Azam Capsules â€śhelps to increase your sizeâ€ť, â€śIt gives you maximum pleasureâ€ť, and â€śIt helps in orgasmâ€ť.
- ALFAÂ Â WELLNESS claims that it â€śis India's No.1 fastest growing medical weight loss clinicâ€ť.
- KHODIYARÂ AYURVEDICâ€™s print advertisement claims that it gets you â€śResult in 10 days of cancer without operation or warming with seeds of American herbâ€ť,Â â€ś100% money back Ayurvedic powder for insufficient spermâ€ť,Â â€śReduce excess flesh from the abdomen in 30 days (with the help of root of a plant)â€ť,Â â€śWithout exercise or dietingâ€ť.
- VILAYATIÂ DAWAKHANAâ€™s print advertisement claims that, â€śUnderweight people can become healthy in one courseâ€ť,Â â€śSuccessful cure of night fallâ€ť,Â â€śmuscular problemsâ€ť,Â â€śsmall, thin parts and low sperm countâ€ť.
- CHAITANYAÂ STEMÂ CELLÂ CENTER print advertisement for its StemÂ Cell Therapy claims that the advertiser can treat through Stem Cell Therapy the following diseases â€“ Cerebral Palsy/Autism/Paraplegia,Â Hemiplegia/Cerebellar Ataxia/Dementia,Â Spinal Cord Injury / Alzheimerâ€™s,Â Diabetes/Kidney Failure/DMD,Â Chronic Renal Failure / Limb Ischemia,Â LGMD / Muscular Dystrophy.
- ARPIT TEST TUBE BABY CENTREâ€™s print advertisement claims that Arpit Test Tube Baby Centre â€śhasÂ blessed more than 10,000 childless couples with children in India and otherÂ countriesâ€ť.
- SHANTHI AYURVEDA HOSPITALâ€™s print advertisement claims being the â€śFirst Ayurveda hospital in South Indiaâ€ť.
- KIDNEY CARE & GENERAL HOSPITALâ€™s print advertisement claims that it is the â€śOne and only place to treat all types of kidney diseasesâ€ť.
- CUREWELL HOSPITALâ€™s print advertisement claims that it gives â€ś100% guarantee of conceiving a childâ€ť.
- PRIME HOSPITALSâ€™s the advertiser claims thatÂ Prime Hospitals â€śIsÂ No.1 todayâ€ť.
- THAPODHAYAN ASHRAMAM print advertisement claims that ThapodhayanAshramam â€śis the only treatment center in the world to cure skin diseases without any side effectsâ€ť.
These claims need to be substantiated with necessary scientific support, past records, research/clinical data etc. In the absence of comments from the advertisers, the CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisements and cited in the complaints, were not substantiated. The advertisements contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaints against above ads were UPHELD.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
- RUPA & COMPANY LTDâ€™s TVC on RupaThermocot shows â€śgirls with different clothes and uses word 'Swaha' and shows a man wearing RUPA Thermocot warm innerwearâ€ť.Â There is use of Hindu Sanskrit Chants mnemonic in the background of this advertisement where the enhancement of the male model's sex appeal by wearing the advertised product is linked with enchanting of Sanskrit mantras in background. The CCC concluded that the visuals along with the religious background music were likely to hurt the religious sentiments. The advertisement contravened Chapter III.1 (b) of the Code.Â The complaint was UPHELD.
- The following claims made in their advertisements by eight different advertisers were upheld by CCC:
- SHIVAM HONDAâ€™s print advertisement on Honda Two Wheeler claims that Shivam Honda Two Wheeler â€śis the No.1 Honda dealer of Eastern India in customer satisfactionâ€ť.
- NATIONAL POWER LINKSprint advertisementclaims that National Power Links is â€śNo.1 since 1992â€ť.
- KUNDAN MARKETING AGENCYâ€™s print advertisement onMicrotek Upsclaims that â€śit is more than 6 times betterâ€ť.
- PÂ C JEWELLERâ€™sTVC shows â€śa mother talking about a dream groom for her baby daughter and then the father is worried how they will fetch a good groom for their daughter as rates of the gold are increasing day by day.Â The mother promotes PC Jewelerâ€™s then by saying they have some installment systemâ€ť The complaint is that the father's concern about their daughter marriage difficulties due to gold rates means marriage is not possible without gold. This promotes dowry.Â It implies No Gold No Marriage.
- A.S.Â SMOKEFREE ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE PVT LTDâ€™s print advertisement claims that it is â€śThe Healthier Alternative to Cigarettesâ€ť, â€śElectronic Cigarette- Does not contain Tobacco, Tar or Smokeâ€ť, â€śAs per international studies electronic cigarette helps in quitting tobacco cigaretteâ€ť.
- SEEDÂ INFOTECHÂ LTDâ€™s print advertisement on Software Testing claims that you can â€śGet placed in 100 days or else 110% Fees Refund!â€ť,Â â€śOn Job Training cum Job Guarantee Program in Software Testingâ€ť. These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data, documentation and past records.
- NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR EMPOWERING INDIAâ€™s print advertisement claims, â€ś100% Secured Jobâ€ť, â€śIndia's largest bank exam training provider for IBPS/ SBI/ RRBâ€ť.These claims need to be substantiated with necessary data, documentation and past records along with support data for the largest bank exam training provider.
- SREE GOKULAM PLANTATIONS print advertisement on SreeGokulam Love Tea claims, â€śFirst time in Indian Market, Tea is packed in Ecofriendly, Composite cansâ€ť.This claim needs to be substantiated with necessary support data and research data to prove that it is first time in Indian market that tea is packed in eco-friendly cans.
These claims need to be substantiated with necessary support data, past records, market research data etc. In the absence of comments from the advertisers, the CCC concluded that the claims mentioned in the advertisements and cited in the complaints, were not substantiated. The advertisements contravened Chapter I.1 of the Code. The complaints against the ads were UPHELD.
During January, the CCC also received complaints against eight other advertisements. However, as these advertisements did not contravene ASCIâ€™s codes or guidelines, the complaints were not upheld. The ads are: Varahi Limitedâ€™s VarahiÂ Bottle Jars & Containers, GlaxosmithklineÂ ConsumerÂ HealthcareÂ Ltdâ€™s Horlicks,Â Â Â LotusÂ HerbalÂ Limitedâ€™sÂ LotusÂ Purestay Cosmetics, Myntra.Com,Â BambinoÂ AgroÂ IndustriesÂ Limitedâ€™s Bambino, Macaroni OorjaÂ Solutionsâ€™ OorjaÂ WaterÂ Purifier, TTKÂ HealthcareÂ Ltdâ€™s SkoreÂ Condoms,Â Â AbaiÂ ToursÂ IndiaÂ PvtÂ Â Limitedâ€™s Mumbai Goa Mumbai Air Package.